Rear Surround Recommendations for Heresy II setup

SalmonSurprise

Hello All,

I was hoping some of you could assist me in finding some rear channels for my 5.1 setup to complement my 3 Heresy II front speakers and JBL PSW1000 subwoofer. Below are my room characteristics and questions. Also, please don’t just say to use more Heresys for the rear, not enough room for that. 

Room Characteristics:

1. Only have 1 ft from back wall to back of my head.

2. 8ft ceilings

3. Sit about 16-18ft from TV/front speakers

Questions:

1. I actually have a total of 4 Heresy II speakers, but only hooked up 3. Is there a such thing as using 2 speakers for the center channel or should I just leave the 4th Heresy out of the setup?

2. Also looking to possibly upgrade my receiver. Any suggestions on a high quality used receiver I might be able to pick up at a good price?

As far as surrounds, I use RS-7s with my Heresy LCR and I think they work great.

And remember, in a 5.1 system you use side surrounds placed to your sides facing you.  A 7.1 system utilizes rear surrounds behind you.

Just use one Heresy as a center.

How much do you want to spend on a receiver?

37 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

As far as surrounds, I use RS-7s with my Heresy LCR and I think they work great.

And remember, in a 5.1 system you use side surrounds placed to your sides facing you.  A 7.1 system utilizes rear surrounds behind you.

Just use one Heresy as a center.

How much do you want to spend on a receiver?

Thank you so much for your reply! I really want the best bang for the buck on the receiver. For an older used receiver, around $300. I was considering an Atmos setup, but that would require a newer receiver. For that, I would spend between $500-$800. Again, I am focused on getting the most for my money, and not having to buy another replacement receiver for awhile. 

Also, is there a similar speaker to the RS-7 that might be more readily available? I can’t even find them on eBay. 

EDIT: I also have a ceiling speaker above the couch that I could replace with a stereo speaker like the R-2800-CSM II for Atmos if that is advisable…

Edited by SalmonSurprise

6 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

What features does the receiver need to have?  Bluetooth, 4k, etc?

Any of the RS series work well for surrounds in my opinion.  

If I’m going the old receiver route, I could run everything through the TV and out to the receiver with an optical cable.

if I go the new route, Atmos, 4K HDR would be nice. I am using it with a 65” LG CX OLED. 

In general, brands such as Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Marantz and Sony ES match well with Klipsch.

I would check out accessories4less.com and see what they have available.  I've made a few purchases from them and always had great service and prices, especially with their factory refurbished items.

5 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

In general, brands such as Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Marantz and Sony ES match well with Klipsch.

I would check out accessories4less.com and see what they have available.  I've made a few purchases from them and always had great service and prices, especially with their factory refurbished items.

I will check them out. What are your thoughts on using a stereo ceiling speaker like the one I mentioned for Atmos height speaker? Would that be a good idea?

53 minutes ago, SalmonSurprise said:

Also, is there a similar speaker to the RS-7 that might be more readily available? I can’t even find them on eBay.

Don't know your location or if he'd ship but there's a pair in the garage sale section of the forum.

As an RS7 owner for many years now, I'd easily pay $425 for a pristine pair. Excellent surrounds imho...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SalmonSurprise said:

I will check them out. What are your thoughts on using a stereo ceiling speaker like the one I mentioned for Atmos height speaker? Would that be a good idea?

Pretty much any Klipsch in-ceiling speaker works well for Atmos.

Just to update, I decided on a Denon AVR X2700h. Now I’m just trying to find a good deal on one. For some reason, I don’t have a problem dumping $1500 on speakers, wire, banana plugs, ceiling boxes, speaker risers, etc., but it makes me cringe to spend almost $1000 on a receiver. 

My reasons for that model are:

1. 4K 120hz passthrough

2. Dolby Atmos

3. 7+ channels (in case I want to add in future)

4. 2nd sub out (in case I add a 2nd sub)

5. 4ohm stable for the Heresy IIs

6. 95WPC

7. High quality room calibration feature

If anyone knows of another receiver that would be a better value while still producing high quality sound, I would love suggestions.