The BIG The Fives EQ update is finally here!!

John Bee

11 hours ago, Hannes said:

Hey guys, I just learned from another forum member that with the hardware version 02.00.01 of the speakers, the EQ settings are saved successfully. 

Even more annoying for those of us that dont have this hardware revision though... 😐 

After half a year of "Klipsch zero information policy" and my extremely bad experience with the support, I have now found an old firmware and just tried to install it via usb-stick.

So what can I say? The downgrade to version 5.8.0 (the one with the 3 bass modes) worked like a charm. 

For me, every misbehavior has disappeared. The loud popping noises are gone and the volume knob can be used again.

In addition, the speakers now automatically switch inputs again. I mean, if someone is listening via Bluetooth and then turns on the TV, they now switch to HDMI automatically again. That makes so much more sense than keeping the Bluetooth channel.

Sure, the EQ function is gone as well, but I just can't handle another "Whoops!". It looks like we cannot communicate with your Fives...". Not to mention that I was the only one in our house who dealt with this insane software anyway.

I've now happily uninstalled the app and I' m enjoying the speakers again as I did on day one. Case closed 🥲

The Fives 5.8.0.zip

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hannes said:

After half a year of "Klipsch zero information policy" and my extremely bad experience with the support, I have now found an old firmware and just tried to install it via usb-stick.

So what can I say? The downgrade to version 5.8.0 (the one with the 3 bass modes) worked like a charm. 

For me, every misbehavior has disappeared. The loud popping noises are gone and the volume knob can be used again.

In addition, the speakers now automatically switch inputs again. I mean, if someone is listening via Bluetooth and then turns on the TV, they now switch to HDMI automatically again. That makes so much more sense than keeping the Bluetooth channel.

Sure, the EQ function is gone as well, but I just can't handle another "Whoops!". It looks like we cannot communicate with your Fives...". Not to mention that I was the only one in our house who dealt with this insane software anyway.

I've now happily uninstalled the app and I' m enjoying the speakers again as I did on day one. Case closed 🥲

The Fives 5.8.0.zip 43.53 kB · 2 downloads

This might be the only solution here while we wait for them to update the Firmware in 2024

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 3:13 PM, afwee9x said:

hello guys, 

i just notice an improvment in Mids and Highs, if i connect my fives with toshlink/optical to my TV. Before i only used the HMDI Arc input. Can somenbody else try it out? If change back to HDMI, the Mids and Highs are muffled and not as clear as the optical input. Its just like before the Firmware Upgrade, when everything was fine. Maybe the Update just bugged out the HDMI input??

Finally its not only me, who thought the optical out sounds way better on the mids than the hdmi output.

Darko Audio with 239k subs on youtube just confirmed my thought:

skip to 12:20 !

Edited by afwee9x

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 8:43 PM, Hannes said:

The Fives 5.8.0.zip 43.53 kB · 11 downloads

Thanks so much for this! I did the newest update on my stock standard Fives last night and was appalled by the stupidly slow volume control, popping and EQ function that doesn't save.

I formatted the same USB stick I used for the newest update, stuck your 5.8.0 firmware files on it instead and the roll back went flawlessly.

Now I've just stuck them on the bass cut mode and they sound great again. I really don't want to have to play with an app EVERY TIME I use these.

is anyone here can give video for popping noise issue?

I do have popping noise as well, but no idea whether it's a popping noise or not.

FYI, my firmware update was failed on step one due to Flashdisk with USB 3.0 interface.

Edited by Rama21

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 4:43 AM, Hannes said:

The Fives 5.8.0.zip 43.53 kB · 18 downloads

Thanks Hannes

It worked like a charm.

I asked support for the original firmware and they didn't want to share it with me.

I will only update until I see hundreds of positive reviews, otherwise it's not worth it for me.

How do you actually get it to roll back though?

I have tried 5 different USB sticks from the bottom of my drawer now. 

1. Plug stick in PC. Fresh full format to FAT32.

2. Move only the update, three files (5.8.0) in.

3. Unplug safely.

4. Unplug The Fives from all cables.

5. Insert USB stick in.

6. Plug the AC back in to the speaker.

7. Speaker Flashes on very USB briefly, and then goes back to last known source.

8. Nothing has happened.

Driving me nuts.

On 10/8/2022 at 3:26 AM, anttielei said:

How do you actually get it to roll back though?

I have tried 5 different USB sticks from the bottom of my drawer now. 

1. Plug stick in PC. Fresh full format to FAT32.

2. Move only the update, three files (5.8.0) in.

3. Unplug safely.

4. Unplug The Fives from all cables.

5. Insert USB stick in.

6. Plug the AC back in to the speaker.

7. Speaker Flashes on very USB briefly, and then goes back to last known source.

8. Nothing has happened.

Driving me nuts.

I have the same issue as well. Klipsch Connect app complains that the firmware didn't succeed or that I haven't paired the Fives yet, though both were completed. The KlipschFivesUpdater app won't walk me through the update process either, as it says the firmware was already installed. Factory reset also doesn't change the outcome.

I'll try a few other methods before initiating a return.

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

On 6/21/2022 at 6:43 AM, Hannes said:

The Fives 5.8.0.zip 43.53 kB · 23 downloads

I sent my DVD player back 7 times before it hit the trash bin

The only solution to make these sound really good out of the box, is optimizing the environment to the fullest. And these are needy in that regard to say the least. Per my experience.

Speaker placement preferably at least 0,5m away from hard walls to remove the excessive boominess from the backfiring ports. Horn tweeters just at ear level so highs start to sparkle again. Perfect 30° stereo triangle to the listening position. Tune EQ only a bit to your liking per content. Then, yes they can sound absolutely fantastic. Huge and thearetical even. But the second you move from the perfect listening position, the sound starts to fade away quickly. Turns to mudd.

You cant just toss these somewhere near the wall or in narrow media unit, because quickly they start to sound more terrible than most speakers would, which are generally far more forgiving with positioning. It's a missed opportunity, because who buys this swiss-toolknife -type of active bookshelf speaker with HDMI-ARC which in reality needs so much empty space around and perfect placing and tuning. This is not really the "easy audio fix" for everyday folk looking for better audio. It's way too demanding with it's placing and environment requirements. I would suggest that even a cheap decent soundbar is a better bet for most, just because it's that much more convenient.

Then if you try to correct suboptimal room placing with this toy of equalizer update or inbuilt bass/position settings. You might fix the boomy/muddy issue, but in the process make them sound still somewhat bad.

With PC it's easier to fix with tools like Equalizer APO. Well, I have these hooked up to my PC now instead of living room and they can be nice like this, but it really required a bit of room planning and changes to make them really live up to their potential.

Edited by anttielei

How does one apply the bass modes if you are on the old software? 

I just got mine. Have not updated anything, but tried downloading the new klipsch app. It refuses to connect at all, so I guess  I have an old software. 

I can turn the volume using the physical knob on the right speaker.

Based on this thread I am very sceptic to update the speakers. from my POV, only tested them on BT they sound great. I dont want to F this up..

• Like 1

Hey all, apologies for the tardy response. I was never able to roll mine back either. I tried all the same tricks that anttielei outlined and nothing happened. I ultimately just put them in “corner” mode and made a bunch of Eq settings in Apple Music that I use when streaming. It still sucks, though, when running my turntable into the Fives. I have a couple of decent phono preamps, but I haven’t been able to find a configuration that doesn’t have bass bloat and recessed upper mid/highs.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, anttielei said:

The only solution to make these sound really good out of the box, is optimizing the environment to the fullest. And these are needy in that regard to say the least. Per my experience.

Speaker placement preferably at least 0,5m away from hard walls to remove the excessive boominess from the backfiring ports. Horn tweeters just at ear level so highs start to sparkle again. Perfect 30° stereo triangle to the listening position. Tune EQ only a bit to your liking per content. Then, yes they can sound absolutely fantastic. Huge and thearetical even. But the second you move from the perfect listening position, the sound starts to fade away quickly. Turns to mudd.

You cant just toss these somewhere near the wall or in narrow media unit, because quickly they start to sound more terrible than most speakers would, which are generally far more forgiving with positioning. It's a missed opportunity, because who buys this swiss-toolknife -type of active bookshelf speaker with HDMI-ARC which in reality needs so much empty space around and perfect placing and tuning. This is not really the "easy audio fix" for everyday folk looking for better audio. It's way too demanding with it's placing and environment requirements. I would suggest that even a cheap decent soundbar is a better bet for most, just because it's that much more convenient.

Then if you try to correct suboptimal room placing with this toy of equalizer update or inbuilt bass/position settings. You might fix the boomy/muddy issue, but in the process make them sound still somewhat bad.

With PC it's easier to fix with tools like Equalizer APO. Well, I have these hooked up to my PC now instead of living room and they can be nice like this, but it really required a bit of room planning and changes to make them really live up to their potential.

I'm also using The Fives with a PC and APO at arround 2m of me and 2m separated between them, 30º angle, -6dB in speaker placement. But I'm lokking for an APO EQ (with the new app software, all I found are for old app software) can you help me?

• 4 weeks later...

There's a new Klipsch Connect app update on the Play Store. Not sure if it will truly work.

• Improved Fives Virtual Remote Control

• Improved Cinema 700, 800, and 1200 Virtual Remote Control

• Addressed T5 II ANC issue where ANC and Transparency settings were not saved

• Improved firmware update process

• Improved product support features

• User interface tweaks and fixes

• Updates based on user feedback

Last night the app updated The Fives firmware (about 10min doing it) but I think it has the same FW version than before (1.6.9) and nothing changed and I don't found any information about this update, does anyone know something?

Edited by Ghen