FOUND!! - Manual for Grace 707 and Nirvana !!

lynnm

About a year ago I purchased an Ariston RD 80 TT which sported a Grace 707 low mass tonearm. I had read various things about that arm at one time or another. The consensous was that it it is one hello of a good tonearm when properly set up but also that simple though it might appear to be it is a bugger to get right.

Undaunted by the Grace's fiddly reputation I bought the TT and arm for about U$ 130.00. It sounded "decent" from the get-go but I could always sense that there was something not quite right. Recently while sniffing around at:

http://WWW.VINYLENGINE.COM I found the manual for the Grace 707 ! Interestingly enough the setup on my arm was not hellishly far from right but I tweaked and tuned as per the setup in the manual and:

Holy Spit ! - I've Got a Whole New Record Collection !!

If you have a good tonearm make the effort to ensure that it is properly set up. My tonearm presents a better soundstage,more detail,less midrange glare,less surface noise,deeper punchier bass and airier highs - And it was not grossly out of adjustment according to the manufacturer's specifications!

• 20 years later...