KG3 Repair of 8" woofer .... glue used?

Silhouette1957

Hi all. I just acquired a pair of KG3's and on both the center paper/fiber appears to have come unglued from the center of the poly cone. Should I simply try to reglue? If so, what kind of glue should I use? The cones seem fine. The foam suspending the cones seems fine. So would this repair be worth a try? I want to resell the speakers so if my repair doesn't restore the sound up to standards, I will be looking for original woofer replacements...   Advice/info very much appreciated.

the dust cap came unglued from the cone..

the best glue to use for poly cones & paper or poly dust caps is speaker cone glue from simply speakers, its black & designed for this purpose or redoing surrounds etc.  could also try a super glue type glue that dries hard.  if the cone was also paper/fiber a hobby glue called aleene's tacky glue works great & dries clear. ive used both on both types of speakers & they worked very well.  

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-repair-adhesive-mi-2000.html

The dust covers on both KG3's had separated. Only about 1/2 inch was still attached on each. I removed them both. So now as I await the arrival of glue, I wonder about cleaning the surfaces. I started removing glue from the cone with an exacto knife. Essentially this amounted to "lifting" glue from the surface to avoid any scratching. Quite a time consuming task. Is it necessary? Also, re the dust covers, they have glue on them as well. 

Any advice on removal of old glue on cone and dust cover? Is it necessary? If so, would carefully applied heat from a hair dryer speed up removing glue from the cone? I definitely don't want to use solvents on the cone but can I dissolve the glue on the felt dust covers?

I notice the top of the driver (sorry if not correct term..) down inside has a sort of frosty corrosion looking blotches....  leave alone?

The cones move freely, quietly and seem to be in great shape. Suspension rings are fine, no signs of any wear or damage........

Thanks very much for your responses...

Speaker 1.jpg

Speaker 2.jpg

Speaker 3.jpg

9 hours ago, Silhouette1957 said:

jason str  ,  Yes... am holding the speaker leaning down while scraping.  Can I use acetone on the cover? Is it "felt"?

Never tried that, rubber cement is forgiving just clean up a bit and apply.

New dust caps are available as well if you prefer to use new ones, just go up a size.

if the glue is still fully adhered to the cone & dust cap it doesnt need to be removed, but for a good clean fit they need to be repositioned exactly how they came off so the 2 surfaces mate. if you can do that & they fit back good without a gap around the edges you can just apply the glue to one surface, usually the cap, then reattach. 

personally i wouldnt try using something like acetone or lacquer thinner as it may damage or melt the cone.  the caps look kinda wrinkled or distorted so your call to reuse them after trying to place them how they came off... as mentioned, new caps that are a good match can be bought new.  

On 12/26/2021 at 11:21 PM, Silhouette1957 said:

jason str  ,  Yes... am holding the speaker leaning down while scraping.  Can I use acetone on the cover? Is it "felt"?

Acetone is very good to remove dirt from  PAPER CONES ONLY  ,  however this woofer is made from black polypropylene -

Acetone is not recommended on plastics  or  black polypropylene because it is a type of plastic -

so ..VIP  CAUTION -  DO NOT USE ACETONE on the KG3 woofer -

• 4 weeks later...