Modjeski RM-10, what's up with this one?

sunnysal

I have posted a number of times in different boards asking about the el84-based amps...eico, pilot, etc. (kelly sparked my interest) today I got an email from Roger Modjeski telling me I was wasting time, that his RM-10 takes that same tube and blows away the vintage units. I went to his site and saw that it retails for $1,475 which really doesn't sound that bad for a brand spanking new "vintage killer" any thoughts/experiences with this amp? thanks for the feedback, tony

Hope you arent giving up on 2A3/45/300B set, a shame given the 104dB Khorns!

$1500 is a lot to spend when I believe you can get equal to if not better results from the likes of a spec EICO HF-81. You WILL get better transformers and tube rectification, something the Music Reference amp does not include. I alwo think Roger is a bit optimistic comparison wise with the 30wpc with a pair of EL-84 per side (using a pair of 12AX7 for input/driver). Unless he is running the beasts through the roof, I dont see how he would see 30wpc. But I do think this is probably a sweet little amp. I remember reading comments on this amp over the 90s, all to good graces. I have seen the RM-10 go used at more than reasonable prices, however.

Hell, the little Jolida 102B is a very similar little amp but not of the same quality. Still, I would look at an EICO HF-81 before these optionx saving my money for an excellent SET option to run with Khorns and the EL-84 option playing in with good vintage.

kh

not giving up on 300B SET, just curious and the guy did send me a note...lol! I will be buying a SET unti early in 2003 (probably form your canadian friend)

I too was surprised at the 30 watts claim, must be running those tubes at the ragged edge, no? I am always worried about the reliability of a vintage unit (since I live so far off the "beaten track") hence the interest in a modern version, perhaps improving something...but then again, as you pointed, out old iron, tube rec, those are good things found in vintage units...I will have to check out the Jolida version...regards, tony

Well, if you get a nice EICO HF-81 and then have it gone over by someone like Craig replacing the PS caps with Sprague ATOMS and making sure everyting else is ok, you still would easily be less than HALF the RM-10 and with vintage iron and tube rectification.

Dont get me wrong, I think the RM-10 is probably a great little amp. But it aint cheap - Ask Roger what output iron he uses. Also, where is his site now? I used to have it but it seems to have moved.

But ole JF is still geared up to do you a great SET.

kh

I guess you are right, I would have to send the vintage unit somewhere for a makeover BEFORE bringing it down here...re: modejski, the site he gave was www.tubeaudiostore.com but the amp section is off the air so I went to www.electron-valve.com who sells his amps. BTW, I am mentally wringing my hands about the JFL amps...oh boy! thanks, tony

While I have no Idea of the specs. I seriously think stating its a Vintage killer is way out there !! The 30 WPC is redicules and almost imposible !! If it is indeed a Vintage killer and produces 30 WPC this guy must be a magic man. It would also have to best all the vintage offerings by a large margin to make up for the cost being X3 .

Craig

I bet Jean-Francois could make a classic vintage 12au7/12ax7 -> EL-84 using Chicago Standard outputs (I think this might be the company making the old EICO iron) found used. This on a better chassis than ye olde RM-10 with better iron/parts. He is already working on a Super HF81.

kh

ps- Craig, your site opening page looks kinda cool

Some others have emailed for suggestions - gettin back today/tomorrow