KG 2.2 and KG 3 Worth the upgrade

sbcoffey42

3 hours ago, sbcoffey42 said:

Just an update, finding a single source for all the components I want is quite a challenge. Crites is winning right now.

what are the values of the capacitors you need for these speakers? 

I thought I could get away with a 3.9 and an 8.2, not sure if the voltage drop across the two in series would make much difference for a 5% cap that is off by .1 uF. I punched the numbers in a filter calculator for that circuit and not sure if the 20 or so hz difference matters. However I am a bit obsessive  when it comes to these things and will keep looking. At this point it is principle. I do have a cart full of items at parts express so I may just order what they have and sooner or later I will get enough parts at digi key to make it worth my while to order there. 

i asked a similar question awhile back & the consensus was that being off by .1 or .2 shouldnt matter on caps that have a 5-10% tolerance. the originals could be off by more than that just in their tolerances so i doubt it would hurt anything or make any noticeable difference in sound.   

ERSE has the 3.9 & 8.2 in the pulse X line or can stack 2, 2.0 as mentioned to reach the 4.  they also have the mylar line in the correct values of 4.0 & 8.0 & even the 24uf.  the 6% lytic are 25uf but again with the 10% tolerence of this cap the 25 would be close enough.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

yep i agree with getting everything in one place.  you can also ask them if they can make the values you need,  they did make a lytic cap for me in a value i needed a couple years ago. 

I grabbed the film caps from them but I did not get the electrolytic, I was holding out for some radial cans but still haven't found them. I found the axial type which is what i will end up doing but since I have to make another order I am actually going through to see what else i will need. I have a tube preamp kit and I will replace some of those caps as well, you know that 25.00 order minimum thing.

9 hours ago, sbcoffey42 said:

I grabbed the film caps from them but I did not get the electrolytic, I was holding out for some radial cans but still haven't found them. I found the axial type which is what i will end up doing but since I have to make another order I am actually going through to see what else i will need. I have a tube preamp kit and I will replace some of those caps as well, you know that 25.00 order minimum thing.

$25 where?  Partsexpress is $100 I Think. 

22 hours ago, sbcoffey42 said:

the axial caps are very easy to use, the leads are plenty long that you can bend them into shape to fit right into the stock holes on the board.  i like the tighter tolerances of the 6% vs the 10% of most other lytic caps.  they do have a minimum order but their shipping charges are lower than most other places, if you keep the order under 1lb (which is a LOT of caps) they ship first class for under $5.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought my KLIPSCH KG3.2 new in 1994 and I listen to them to this day. After so many years, I decided to replace the capacitors with new ones. The choice fell on Dayton Audio.
Here is the change configuration:

old 4uF capacitor - new DMPC 4uF 250V x 1
old capacitor 8uF - new DMPC 4uF 250V X 2
old capacitor 24uF - new DMPC 12uF 250V x 2
+
old resistor - new Ty-Ohm SUPERS 3ohm / 5W

additionally, I damped the side walls and the tube with a mat: Vibrofiltr PRO 2.0 / 2mm

The final effect - I did not hear any changes in the sound.
And finally, it turned out that the old capacitors had good parameters ...

IMGP5201 — kopia.JPG

Opera Zrzut ekranu_2023-07-23_045458_allegro.jpg

Opera Zrzut ekranu_2023-07-23_050203_allegro.pl.png