Theater time !!!

Dale W

Jason, I studied Fine Art and Culinary at the Sorbonne in Paris and Orleans, France for four years. I had many personal friends in France that were much higher up the culinary ladder and spent many, many hours with them perfecting my skills. For years I had a restaurant in San Antonio, Texas, called "Brambles" that was an "in" restaurant for oil mavericks and Hollywood types coming through San Antonio. The restaurant won many awards and was reknowned for its signature recipies. Years later I contributed so much to the American culinary team in the Chef's Olympics in Barcelona that I was honored with two tickets to a $500 a plate dinner to raise money to send our team (headed by a chef friend of mine) to Barcelona. The team did quite well.

Since I am in the process of moving, this is not the easiest time to pull the popcorn types from my databanks (remember I had a Klez Virus that pretty well ate up my primary computer so I would have to find them in a back-up somewhere. Your best bet is to check with the county agent where the land is and they will tell you what seed is the best for that land, weather, etc. What Jason mentioned is taking the tassels off the ears of corn so that the ears will mature without cross-breeding. In rural areas, kids out of school usually do the de-tassling... it's a hot, dirty, job... but there always seems to be some teens with a need for cash.

But, I like your plan... and would be happy to contribute to the creation of a "Klipsch Korn-loaded HT Pops" program. -HornED

PS: Popcorn used to be one of the more lucerative specialized corn crops... or so I have been told.

HornED.

My brother and I have both been getting letters from a french cooking school in Paris, I believe it is the Sorbonne.

Right now my mother is taking classes on wine and other liquors. I got my bartending license last year with my brother.

Since you are so culinarilly talented, I don't suppose you have ever heard of the James Beard House?

James Andrew Beard was born May 5, 1903 in Portland. He is known as the father of American food. My grandmother has had the privelege to go to the James Beard House for dinners on 4-5 different occasions. To cook at the James Beard house is something nearly every chef in America dreams to do. It is the pinaccle of the career in most instances. And it is no easy feat to get this honor. My grandmother has gotten I believe 2 of her personal chefs into the house.

Ever since I was a wee little boy food has been a big part of my life, besides the obvious need for it. I was on a cooking show when I was about 6-8 years old for about a year. Total of I think 18 shows that were put on national TV. It was spnosored by the National Wild Rice Association or the Rice Counsel, I cannot remember any more, it has been 10-12 years since then. Because of the sponsorship 90% of what we created, the chef's originals, were based on rice. Never knew there were so many ways to cook this white fluff!

Since then my grandmother has sent me to cooking schools both local and national. One in particular in the wine valleys of California. I spent a summer at that school learning about the industry and cooked in a professional kitchen.

My first girlfriend's dad owned and created Salt Grass Steak house and also 35% of the Mason Jar. Both very popular Texan restruants. He has since sold out of both and is starting a new one on the eastern seaboard. The name escapes me but it seems like it was called the Blue Shelf or Blue Fish or something. I will ask Mandy (his daughter) the next time I see her.

BTW, it is Justin, not Jason LoL! 1.gif Or was that a joke? Some people do it for fun. I am thinking of changing my name to Jason.

Going to ask my grandmother if she ever went to your restraunt. No doubt she did. Also, ever hear of Ann Crisswell? She was the food editor of the Houston Chronical for 20+ years. She has been a friend of our family for.. wow, like 30 years I guess.

You are so incredibly rounded... WOW!

Your right, Justin, I was jerking your chain... if you will remember I did it once long ago during a "senior moment" reply to a query from you. Since you had written on another post that your favorite songs were by people with your name... I thought I would set you up and do some plays on Jason because trying to lay some Justin tunes on you wasn't working. Turns out, Jason is not much of a help... except "Hasten Jason, bring the basin... erp, slop bring the mop" and I thought that would only encourage teenage drinking... and was predjudicial against Dentyne chewing gum in the early 1950's.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that when I was born, President Lincoln had been shot.. dead less than 3/4ths of a century ago... and Neville Chamberlain had just declared there would be peace in our time after "reasoning" with Adolph Hitler... and more than four decades later I would be on the walking in Central Park and looked up just in time to see John Lennon shot in front of the Dakota... and now the world anticipates American ingenuity will rain down upon the Saddam reign... the search for "Peace on Earth and Good Will to All" ought to be more than a Christmas Card sentiment... hmm, I thought it was the meek and not the bullies that were supposed to inherit the earth. When it was my turn, I accepted the killing responsibility that defending our nation required of me as a male citizen when the draft was not a joke. May your have peace in your time, Justin. I've about given up hope of having it in mine.

It is interesting that you were on a rice oriented cooking show since you are probably living on ground that used to be rice fields that surrounded Houston. And, yes, I am well familiar with the American cooking authorities you named. While I enjoyed the restaurant business... it was one of the most demanding and unforgiving businesses I ever built. Things were going quite well until we became an "in" restaurant and then other restaurants began raiding my staff for the experience they had gained working for me. I have always tried to compensate my staff fairly and adequately... but success sure runs up what other people are willing to pay for your good staffers.

Andy gave me a call from Arkansas on Christmas Day and we shared our high hopes for your future. While you have been given more opportunities because of the success of your family... and the luck of the draw on your health situation... but do try to carve out a niche for yourself that you can be proud to call your own... and not a hand-me-down from well meaning friends or relatives. Pound the books and connect the dots in that mind of yours until you can see the Justin you would like to be. Filet mignon and truffles are nice to receive... but there is nothing quite like earning your own meat and potatoes just to know you can. For what ever it may be worth, I sprang from a wealthy family but preferred to be totally self supporting by the time I was sixteen years old.

A wealthy grandmother told me, "Ed, you should always be good to your grandparents because some day they will leave a share of their money to your father and then someday he will leave a share to you." My reply was, "Grandmother, I come to visit you because I love you as a person. I believe that everyone that can should earn their own meat and potatoes first... then if a little dessert comes down the road someday... that's most appreciated. But I will not live my life like a donkey controlled by a carrot on the end of a stick." It's a good thing I inherited a good work ethic... because I sure didn't inherit any of the money!

The New Year is definitely "Justin Time"... so use it wisely. -HornED

Ah Yes The local movie house. Fortunately we have a relatively new Regal cinema in town that uses all Klipsch sound systems. The sound is very good and I enjoy seeing certain movies on the big screen. However, that said. I still prefer watching movies at home where I have the sound balanced to my liking. Besides, my wife can pop a mean bowl of popcorn that keeps me from missing the corn at the theater.