HDBRbuilder, opinion

bkrop

KG series are good speakers. They were the original entry into small bookshelf market for the company due to prolific use of apartments and condos by folks who didn't have room for Heresys in early 1980's. As such, they are a compromise for smaller size...the initial development was primarily by Gary Gillum with advice from PWK. They were originally rushed into production after a relatively short developmental period to fill the "bookshelf speaker" gap in the company's line. Over time, other better speakers were developed that filled the originally intended need and the KG line was dropped by the wayside in favor of models that had more intense R&D put into them. All of them are good speakers, especially when you consider how little development time actually went into them!!

The KG-4s are an excellent small floor standing Rock and Roll speaker. They have excellent range, including some very excellent bass that is typically unheard of in speakers so small. The KG-4s are not bookshelf by any means, but as HDR stated part of a bookshelf series, that later evolved.

I have had my KG-4s since 1985 and now have delegated them to bedroom use since I last upgraded. The only problem with these speakers, is the surrounds on the passive radiators are subject to failure, and the parts are no longer available via Klipsch. There are a number of die hard KG-4 fans on the board. BTW there are very big differences between the KG-4s, the KG-4.2s and the KG-4.5s.

Yes,

The KG4 is a great little floor-standing model. Its intent was to provide the "Klipsch Sound" in a package smaller than that of a Cornwall that took up less floor-space in its footprint. As the general trend in speaker purchases began to lean toward the taller "tower-like" speaker models with small footprints, other series were developed alongside those of the KG series, such as the KLF series, the Tangent series, the Forte, Chorus, etc..,and for a time all of these were produced by Klipsch concurrently with each other...which HAD to be a bit of a hassle in the marketing end of things...with so very many models with such similar sound and space requirements ...making the choice by the consumer quite a problem...AND requiring the dealers to provide a huge amount of showroom space in order to display all of these models, in addition to the models of the old Heritage line...not to mention the problem of having so very many models in PRODUCTION at the same time!! Obviously, the number of selections HAD to be trimmed back somewhat, and the KG series was one of those that was caught up in the "trimming-back" of the line process. As for almost ALL of the speakers Klipsch has produced for a time but no longer manufactures, certain of the KG series have aquired a "cult" following(as has the Forte, Chorus, etc.); but at least, in these cases, the "cult followings" are based upon the great performance of these speakers instead of just some "nostalgic reminiscences."

HDBRbuilder: My Kg-4s have built in stands and have rocked since purchasing new in 85. the only time they sounded better was when my housemate in grad school liked mine so much he bought a pair and we flipped his upside down on top of mine. HOLY ****!!! What sound!!!