*Found* Carver VTA-20 Tube Amp to Replace my Carver 275

jjptkd

On 4/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, jjptkd said:

Honestly I still miss my old Carver 275-- I can't wait to see the new ones when they come out 

Figured I'd provide a final update on the Carver VTA-20 amplifier-- after spending a week or so swapping between the Sunfire 600 and the VTA-20 a few times the bass suddenly became much more "full" sounding with the 20, still not quite as snappy as the 600 but pretty darn close, enough to satisfy my bass addiction and no more need for the subwoofer, it has been unplugged for over a week now. 

Not sure if it was the tubes finally breaking in? Probably have 300-400 hours on them by now but when I first swapped in the 600 there was a pretty dramatic difference in bass response, by about the 3rd time re-installing the 20 back into the system there was suddenly not nearly the difference. All in all I have to say I'm very impressed and happy with this little tube amp, still does not have quite the 3-D holographic image / depth of soundstage as the 275 had but soundstage is big / wide and natural sounding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1