K-77 diaphragm replacement info please

CarD

Good day, I have been a lurker on these boards for sometime, and I thought it might be time to go ahead and subscribe and see how things are on the non-shadowed side of things. As I was planning my inaugural posting, I thought, what better way to start things off than with a question about some older Klipsch beasts! I seem to remember some time ago there being an excellent tutorial on how to replace the diaphragms in the K-77 tweeters used in many of the classic Klipsch speakers, but for the life of me I have not been able to find it in my many and various search tries. I can find references to the fact that they do exist, but the links appear to be broken, do any of you happen to have those instructions that can be reposted here for a little project I am undertaking? (I have some diaphraghms and am looking to install them in some K-77s and I would like to refresh my memory on the exact procedure before I open them up.)

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome Mike,

There are two types of diaprams, a complete kit and just a diaphram. The kit is much easier.

With either you going to have to remove the four screws on the back of the tweeter, pull off the horn portion, and you will find a screen and a paper gasket. Remove them both. If you have the kit you can discard them, the kit comes with new ones.

Next carefully remove the plastic diaphram housing by prying it up and off the magnet. Do not damage the rim on which the plastic houng sits. And install the new one in the reverse maner.

Sean

CarD,

Here is my advice. I needed to replace the diaphrams on my tweeters on my Belles a few months ago also. I located the replacement parts from a company on the Web called Simply Speakers in Florida. The diaphrams were around $24. I called Simply Speakers and they they were very responsive. They offered to do the replacement and test the tweeters for me for about $40 a piece.

I had the tweeters apart and noticed how fragile the diaphrams and the little wire. Also the polarity was not well marked or obvious. I decided for the extra few bucks, it was worth it for me to have simple speakers do it correctly. They turned around my tweeters in about 2 weeks.

Just to let you know that I am not afraid to sling Solder, I have built SET Monoblocks, Push- Pull Amplifiers, Tube Pre-amps and A couple of pairs of speakers. The small little wires in the tweeters made me think that I had a better than even chance of damaging the diaphrams. _ Not worth it!

I have no affiliation with Simply Speakers. - Just a satisified Customer. Good Luck whichever direction you choose!1.gif

NOZ, Thanks for the reply, where do you get this "kit" you're referring to? I am an EV parts distributor and I know that EV only has the bare diaphragms. If anyone needs these, I think I can save them a few bucks over the price I have seen them selling for on the 'net. You can contact me at mike@gumlog.com for pricing and information.

Cut-Throat, I have actually repaired one of these before so I'm confident that I can handle it again, I just wanted that good set of instructions to follow again incase I have a lapse in my memory of any specific little item.

Bob, yes I think that is exactly what I am looking for, but I, too, have been unable to find it.

Mike

Mike,

I just did one, took about five minutes. I am in Canada, so I had to get it from a place called Micron electronics here near Toronto.

Klipsch parts is who to call. They will know the nearest parts distributor near you.

Parts is who to call, not sales.

The kit is a little more expensive, but far easier and no waiting time.

Cheers

Sean