First time poster. What do you think of this HT?

petegtp

I'm thinking about updating my old Kenwood system in a box. I went to the local hifi store and this is what I priced out after listening to B&W, Paradigm, Energy & Klipsch.

RF3S2 for fronts

RC3S2 for center

SS1B for surrounds

B&W ASW 300 for sub

What do you think about this combo? I went with the B&W sub because I have read that the Klipsch subs are not that great. I have a big room to fill (15' x 40' with my HT set up at one end). Also what would you recommend for a receiver? I was thinking about the Denon AVR 3803 or the Rotel RSX 1055.

Thanks.

Looks good, but why SS1B for surrounds? They do not match the rest of your "reference" system. Timbre matching all 5 of your speakers will provide the most seamless audio transitions from front to rear. Is it because of the size, or price of the RS3II? Also with regards to your comment on Klipsch subs, I cannot comment on the quality of Klipsch subs, as I have never had one. I can however comment on the awesome performance of SVS subs. You will be hard pressed to find a better subwoofer for the price. I would also like to know why you chose the B&W ASW 300? I have a time believing that one 8" speaker is going to keep up with the four 8" speakers in the RF3's, especially considering the size of your room. IMHO

PS. What is your budget for reciever and subwoofer? Maybe I can give some better reccomendations.

I'm not sure why they didn't match the surrounds with the rest of the system but that is something I will check into. As far as price for a receiver I'm aiming towards the $1000 mark. That is why I had my choices narrowed down to the Denon and Rotel models I have listed. I have about $300 to $350 alotted for a sub. Thanks everyone for your comments.

For what it's worth, I think I would suggest spending a bit more on your sub than that. This is just what I would do, but I personally would suggest reducing the amount you plan on spending on your receiver and getting a better sub. I guess when you said you read the Klipsch subs were not that good, I had not realized you were referring to a 2 or 3 hundred dollar sub...

My suggestion to you is this. Get either a Harman Kardon AVR-520 (very nice) or get a Denon 3802 (again very nice) these two receivers will have more than enough power for your speakers. Take the reamaining money and put it towards purchasing a nicer sub. You should be able to pick up a AVR-520 for less $700.00 at a local dealer, even less than that if you buy from an NON authorized dealer on the internet. I would imagine the Denon could be had for around the same price.

Again, just my 2 cents. Good luck.1.gif

Thanks for the info. The Klipsch subs I was referring to are the ones that match the Klipsch system I chose. The KSW-12. The B&W sub I picked is $330. I thought it had more kick than the Klipsch. Maybe because it was front firing? C'mon after 117 views no one else has some good advice?1.gif

Get an extra job for your significant other and buy an "adequate" sub (121.5 dB at 20 Hz)! An adequate sub is second only to an adequate center that, at least, equals your mains... and, yet, those two areas are the most likely to be lacking in most HT's! =HornEd

m00n is giving you good advice - I concur. If you have to, back down on the receiver investment a bit and upgrade the sub. Lots of good choices that won't break the bank.

HornEd is giving bad advice, at least as far as the having your significant other get a job is concerned. I know he was kidding, but just wanted to point out that he is (at least, I hope so 1.gif).

DD

The klipsch sub you are refering to are not that great KSW-12. Those are not Klipsch's high end subs. If you want power go with Klipsch's bettler line of subs, the RSW-10,12,or 15. You won't hear many complaints about them. Also, why only $330 on a sub? If your gonna buy all that other nice equipment and speakers don't go cheap on the sub.

I agree with the above posts, definitely DO NOT skimp on the sub. With as large of a room as you are trying to fill with sound, this would be a very bad move. SVS 25-31PCi can be had for $549 plus shipping(sometimes you can find them for $50 less in the B-stock section, that is where I got mine). This will still leave you about $750 dollars for your reciever, based upon my calculations. The klipsch speakers are very efficient, so don't worry about the 75 watts per channel on the H/K vs the 110 watts on the Denon. Are you looking @ authorized or non-authorized dealers for the Klipsch?