Klipschorns, Cornwalls, The Horn Shope or Straight 8 speakers

playntheblues

You should have seen ole Tom and Ed Schilling (The Horn Shoppe) go at it in the High Efficiency Speaker Asylum awhile back. No love was lost there, I can tell you that much. Both tended to be a bit biased but it was amusing fun to read. In addition, I just like reading someone else besides me and Romy the Cat coming to blows with moderators and AA passerbys! The comments about the LaScalas, Klipsch, and ye olde The Horn were classic though. It's worth looking up. I am sure ole Ed didnt sleep for awhile. Both are characters in the best sense of he word.

kh

By all means, if you have the means, go with the Klipschorns. Take the time to build the false corners and you will be rewarded. Solid corners, that the Khorns fit tightly into is a must, as well as a medium to large size room, if you want the wonderful bass that the Khorns are famous for. It (the bass) is tight, deep, and accurate. In a word, thrilling. It is not the deepest at 35 Hz, but unless you are pipe organ freak, thats low enough. Its a strong 35 Hz.

I NEVER feel the need to augment the bass. I have heard Cornwalls. They sound similar to the Khorns, but they are not Khorns. Khorns are special. They just sit in their corners and smirk, as if to say "Throw it at me you audiophile *******, I'll give it right back, and if you dont like what what I'm putting out, then get some decent electonics. I can handle anything you can afford, you pretentious *****. I've been doin' this **** for 55 years. Now put some good music on and sit down and shut up. None of that rap stuff either. Not that I can't handle it. It just sucks"

Mobile is right about using tube amplification.

You're making a good choices for your short list of speaker contenders!

I have both Lowther Medallion horn speakers, and La Scalas. They both have merits, and are both quite different from one another. One common trait is very high sensitivity, which makes them perfect for few watts of high quality amplification.

I just finished a complete restoration of a pair of Radio Craftsman 6V6 amplifiers, which sound stunning with the La Scalas. I just want to mention that your interest in a subwoofer may be lessened somewhat if you really give a good listen to the La Scalas. Paired with the right amps, you would be surprised, I think (I was) by the low frequency extension of the La Scalas. That said, I don't think the midrange quality of the LSs is the same as that of the Lowther. I have been experimenting with the combination of the Lowthers and La Scalas together, playing simultaneously. The Radio Craftsman amps have separate volume and tone controls (I like them, regardless of what others say they may do to the performance of the amps!), and have been able to achieve a fairly seemless combination of Lowthers and La Scalas. Carefully balanced in terms of gain and tone, the two systems create an absolutely huge and very convincing illusion of 3-dimensional sound and space. The Horne Shop speakers could be combined, perhaps in the same way, although I don't know their specs. Lowthers and La Scalas are very similar in terms of sensitivity and efficiency.

Good luck and have fun!

Erik

Hehe,

I was lucky to hear John Albright's system when he still had the second pair of LaScalas as rears.

To my ears and for the short time(an hour or two) I had to listen to John's system it sounded very smooth and seamless.

The sound from what I remember it was not like a number of subwoofer systems I have heard, there was nothing to make me notice that he had subwoofers hooked up until me mentioned them. Then I thought "Oh yeah those big black things in the corners must be subs".

Listening to John's speakers I wished I had the money to buy some klipsch, they sounded so good.

As I think Tom Brennan has mentioned before, some of the JBL prosound sub cabinets work well with horns.

They might not dig as deep as a "home theater" sub, but they sure are clean.

The only problem as I see it is the ones that are fast enough to keep up with the larger klipsch are rather large themselves.

Sometimes subs show up on the JBL tent sale,

http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/sale_items.htm

Peace, Josh