2 piece La Scala ?

jdire1

If memory serves me correctly, the industrial two-piece La Scalas had a handle on one side of the upper unit. I don't remember a handle on the bottom unit. The upper unit was angled on both sides, following the shape of the mid horn. A lot of them had the fiberglass mesh coating, painted black, with the aluminum angle trim on all edges. Many that were permanently installed in a commercial application had the rough spray texture without the aluminum trim. I'm pretty sure these had a heavy duty driver in the bass cabinet, K-43. They had recessed banana plugs for connections. Nice speakers. That's all I can remember. I once split a pair of La Scalas, fiberglassed them, painted them, installed aluminum trim, had Klipsch logo stickers made, put handles in them, and then traded them in to my dealer for a pair of Khorns that I still own. Greg

An Industrial LaScala is an "LSI"...wheras an Industrial Split LaScala is an "LSSI". The split LaScala was designed to be more easily maneuverable by stage hands since it was "split" in two sections...it was ALSO intended to allow more versatility when setting up arrays with compound numbers of LaScalas dedicated to each channel in stacked and/or grouped set-ups. Not all of these had the steel corners with anodized aluminum edge trim...some just had rounded-over cabinet edges and were shot with textured industrial black epoxy/laquer finish. Even some of the metal-trimmed ones had this black epoxy/laquer finish in lieu of the fiberglassing. Generally, if these were intended to be "flown" by the purchaser in an indoor environment, it was recommended to forego the fiberglass treatment, and the metal corners and edge trim...in order to lessen the weight load on the intended suspension/mounting system. Some, but not all, of these cabinets had handles installed. Each one of these orders had numerous cabinet options on the list...determined by what the purchaser desired...and was willing to pay for. For the split LaScalas...the problem with handles was that they would end up in the sides of the bass bin...which caused SOME distortion since they would extend to the interior of the sides when mounted, thus being in the soundpath of the folded horn....so side handles were often not ordered in these. On the standard Industrial LaScala, the handles were mounted in the side of the cabinets ABOVE the bass bin section (where they only intruded into the space to the sides the mid-horn/tweeter section), where they provided no intrusion into the soundpath. If the speakers were originally purchased with the intent to permanently mount them in a "flown" manner, then they were not normally ordered with handles installed.

Do a search in the 2 Channel Forum for the thread "Danocaster's $300 Flat Black Pro LaScalas" from 7/25/02. Use either NOS440 or Roadhawg for author. You will find photos of the trapezoidal split LaScala owned by NOS440 and also a pair of split LaScala's with the squared mid/tweet section that I bought for my church. Hope this helps.

Roadhawg