KG 4.5 vs RB-5 IIs for mains?

someguy

Could really use anyone's input on this. I have KG 4.5 floorstanding speakers for mains. Have been very pleased, yet they are the only ones I've ever owned.

Moved into a new house, and unfortunately the room layout forces one of the floorstanding speakers to reside in the hallway, which is in the way. So I'm contemplating changing to the RB-5s so that I can mount them up a little, and out of the walking area.

Would I sacrafice my quality or improve by switching?

My typical understanding is that floorstandings are superior to bookshelfs. Anyone have experience with KG 4.5s and/or RB-5s? I also have a great sub, center channel and rears. I listen to 2 channel audio as well as 5.1 for DVDs, so both are important for me.

Any input would be appreciated.

floorstanders are not superior to bookshelfs.

they are almost always superior in bass output because of the nature of them (bigger cabinets, drives etc)

but often bookshelfs will have clearer midrange, and better sounding highs than floorstanders because they dont have the bass frequencies mudding up the sound.

if you have a "great" sub, then bookshelfs may actually wind up sounding better than what you currently have.

what kind of sub is it?

I used to own the 4.5's and have listened to the RB5's. With the RB's you'll definitely need a subwoofer or you'll be dissatisfied with the sound compared to the KG's. Other than that I guess it wouldn't be a big deal. I will say, however that IMO floorstanders sound smoother and more open than a comparable bookshelf.

The RB 5 is an exception to most rules. Yes, you'll give up some bass response, but these speakers are very special when it comes to music reproduction, given good source and amplification. If you are a bass monger and already have a sub, you won't miss much, especially if the sub is fast and tight.

I think you'll be pleased with the performance of the RB 5's. I was using these as my mains for a while, and will use them again in that capacity when I make some changes in my system in the near future. I often listened to them in "Source DIrect" mode (the "straight pasth with gain" setting on my receiver) and was quite taken with their accuracy and tonal quality.