Cornwall variations/explanations/identification/HDRBbuilder/anyone??

cornwaller

Fom what I have seen and what I own, there still questions:

1) I have 1978 br's (no risers) that show the plys and I have seen the same vintage with veneer covering the ply--both factory. What is up with this?

2) Both the br's and my 1983 wo's (with risers) have three bass ports and I have seen other Corn I's of the same vintage with THREE ports. What about this?

All of the Corn I's above have the same desirable xover, same wiring, etc. If someone could explain these distinctions it would certainly scratch my itch. Thanks.

Cornwaller (*_*)

~

Cornwaller,

Your comment about the 1978 CDBR's having exposed plys on the end edges and other ones of that vintage NOT having this is a bit confusing, since ALL CDBR's OR CBR's ALWAYS had plys showing...as the came from the factory! Now, there WERE two different cabinet designs, but both of these had butted joinery which left the edge plys showing...from front to rear on the sides at their top and bottom edges...but only the earlier ONE of these two different cabinet designs had any plys showing from side to side along the front top edge, and the bottom front edge(this cabinet design was called the flush-front design)and that design was changed to the other one in spring of 1978....and the newer design had an inset front, too...whereas the previous one did not! If you can show pics of what you are talking about concerning the visibility of these end plys...or maybe give a better verbal description, I would be happy to give you further clarification of my answer to your question in this matter.

As for number of ports...that is a non-issue...the Cornwall technically just had ONE port...all the way across its bottom....what you are referring to is the REINFORCEMENT points of the port opening here....which were designed to give the cabinet more structural strength...kinda like pillars supporting a roof...there were numerous front panel designs over the years...some just had one center supporting strut, the others had two supporting struts to provide the strength for the cabinet there. It is a non-issue! Look at it this way...the grille opening ahead of your car's radiator is basically just a cosmetic/structural design, that provides some support to the OVERALL large opening needed to get air to the radiator...same for that port on the Cornwalls...those "struts" running vertically are just to provide structural strength to the cabinet between its bottom and top....along the center vertical axis...nothing more!!

See my next post below for a sketch to help you out. 2.gif

Andy,

Just another stupid fini comment, based on:

----------------

On 1/3/2003 8:22:10 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

Cornwaller, Look at it this way...the grille opening ahead of your car's radiator is basically just a cosmetic/structural design, that provides some support to the OVERALL large opening needed to get air to the radiator...same for that port on the Cornwalls..

----------------

Long day here, too. Keep up the good work-

fini

Thanks for all your effort. Kick back, relax, put on some sooth-muse, and let your mind wonder.....

My usage of the term 'port' was only to avoid using the word hole. Sorry for the confusion. I always look at the details, and this difference in the front panel intrigued me. As for a pic for an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=1948470605 As it looks there is verneer covering the plys on these speakers.

Cornwaller

Cornwaller,

I thought I kinda already explained it...but here goes...the ones in those pics are FLUSH-FRONT model CDBR models.

This cabinet DESIGN was discontinued in spring of 1978 for a design(see my previous post with the sketch in it) that allowed for usage of the same grille-cloth-covered panels the NON-BIRCH Cornwalls used...IOW, the cabinet BUILD was re-designed, so that the cabinet would have an INSET front panel instead of a front panel that was FLUSH with the front side edges...this allowd for the same grille-cloth panel to be used on them as the was already being used on the non-birch mitered-corner Cornwalls. Because the front panel of this new cabinet design was NO LONGER and integral part of the "box" itself, and was instead installed with staples into glue blocks that had been mounted inside the cabinet, it was determined that the port opening needed MORE vertical reinforcing struts within the opening...to provide more structural strength to the cabinet there...therefore the front's port openings went from two wide openings to three narrower openings with the addition of another "vertical reinforcing strut" there.

The pics you posted are really crappy, and I understand they are NOT your doing...but the Cornwall in those pics is a flush front CDBR style cabinet, and yours aren't. From what I can tell of the pics you posted, the Cornwall in them was either shipped from the factory with grille cloth installed (which in this case would have had plain grille cloth stapled around the front edges of the cabinet, then molding tacked on over the stapled grille cloth's edges)...and later removed the stapled-on cloth, and replaced it with removeable grille-cloth-covered panels...OR the owner(s) LATER added grille coth panels, and applied trim around the front edges so that the grille cloth panels had the look of being inset.

On the earlier "flush-front" style of Cornwall cabinets, the front panel was first glued-and-nailed to the front edge of the cabinet top panel...then the same was done for the cabinet bottom panel...then the partially completed assembly was turned on its side, and the side panel was glued-and-nailed to the top, front, and bottompanels...then it was flipped-over and done again...then glue blocks were installed in the cabinet rear for something to screw the back to, then the sides port shelf supports were glued-and-stapled into the inside...and the shelf port was glued up stapled down to them...the cabinet was flipped over onto its back and nails were driven through the front into the front edge of the shelf beneath. Since the front panel was an INTEGRAL part of the "box", there was MORE than enough structural vertical support with just one center vertical strut across the port opening...this changed when they went to the newer style birch cornwall cabinet with its dropped-in front! WHY??? Because with the drop-in front, the wood across the BOTTOM of the openings was only a bit over 3/4" wide(vertically)...whereas on the flush-front cabinet, it was almost twice that wide (because it lapped over the front edge of the bottom panel there)...the loss of strength for the cabinet there necessitated the addition of another vertical strut across the opening...pretty simple.