Writer looking for readers

MeloManiac

I've been active on this forum for a couple of years now. I love music of all genres if they are well recorded and have a good Melody 😉 My other passion is writing fiction. After having self-published two books on the Amazon platform, I decided to take a different approach and try out Wattpad for my third novel: Miserere - The Last of the NeandertaL. The book, disguised as a (pre)historical adventure, mystery and science fiction novel, is about mutation, breast cancer and death. 

So what is it about? Why this book? The subject of breast cancer entered my life on a very personal level in 2015. I will not go into detail about this event for now. It was traumatising and I waited 5 years or so before I was ready to write about it. Ironically, only a few weeks after I finally started writing, in the spring of 2021, a really close friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was early July 2021. I made a pact with her: Let's make a deal: you have one year to get over this, and while you go through the therapy, I'll be working on this book. And by July 2022, you'll be cured, and I will have finished this novel. Well, here we are now! My friend is doing fine now (after going through multiple surgeries in the past year, going through hell several times, and all the way back again...), and I'm about to finish my novel!

So why this post? If you think the music world is competitive, well I can tell you competition is arguably even tougher for a writer in the English language: on Amazon, 6,000 new books are published daily... It is terribly difficult to get noticed. Hence my experiment with Wattpad. So what is the deal: you can read my 'under construction' novel, which is 80% finished, for free on a device of your choice. You'll need a Wattpad account, which is free. Wattpad (and their app) is a reliable and safe platform. No worries, and there really is no catch (if you don't mind the ads, after one week of use). I have given my book a mature rating because there are references to (very mild) sexuality.

And what is next? When the novel is finished (end of August 2022 the latest), I will update the Wattpad version and, more importantly, I will self-publish it on Amazon. It will be available there as paperback and hardback.

It is unfinished, but is it 'readable'? Yes! The book consists of three parts that can be read in any order you like. Part Two and Part Three are completely finished, Part One is still in the process of being written. You can trust me, reading it will be a rewarding experience.

As this is a passion project, I'm looking forward to reader feedback/input. You can react to this post (I am following this thread) or you can leave a comment on the Wattpad platform, of course.

The link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/313381869-miserere-the-last-of-the-neandertal 

image.png.76cc971f394a43f1ed09c022fc3d7264.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, MeloManiac said:

I've been active on this forum for a couple of years now. I love music of all genres if they are well recorded and have a good Melody 😉 My other passion is writing fiction. After having self-published two books on the Amazon platform, I decided to take a different approach and try out Wattpad for my third novel: Miserere - The Last of the NeandertaL. The book, disguised as a (pre)historical adventure, mystery and science fiction novel, is about mutation, breast cancer and death. 

So what is it about? Why this book? The subject of breast cancer entered my life on a very personal level in 2015. I will not go into detail about this event for now. It was traumatising and I waited 5 years or so before I was ready to write about it. Ironically, only a few weeks after I finally started writing, in the spring of 2021, a really close friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was early July 2021. I made a pact with her: Let's make a deal: you have one year to get over this, and while you go through the therapy, I'll be working on this book. And by July 2022, you'll be cured, and I will have finished this novel. Well, here we are now! My friend is doing fine now (after going through multiple surgeries in the past year, going through hell several times, and all the way back again...), and I'm about to finish my novel!

So why this post? If you think the music world is competitive, well I can tell you competition is arguably even tougher for a writer in the English language: on Amazon, 6,000 new books are published daily... It is terribly difficult to get noticed. Hence my experiment with Wattpad. So what is the deal: you can read my 'under construction' novel, which is 80% finished, for free on a device of your choice. You'll need a Wattpad account, which is free. Wattpad (and their app) is a reliable and safe platform. No worries, and there really is no catch (if you don't mind the ads, after one week of use). I have given my book a mature rating because there are references to (very mild) sexuality.

And what is next? When the novel is finished (end of August 2022 the latest), I will update the Wattpad version and, more importantly, I will self-publish it on Amazon. It will be available there as paperback and hardback.

It is unfinished, but is it 'readable'? Yes! The book consists of three parts that can be read in any order you like. Part Two and Part Three are completely finished, Part One is still in the process of being written. You can trust me, reading it will be a rewarding experience.

I wish I had more time to work on the book, but because of my educational process, I don't have much time left. But in university, I also write a lot, but it is mostly essays, but they are on different issues, so my skills and knowledge always develop, which is beneficial, of course. Some time ago I wrote a paper based on the film for the first time. The film was called Into The Wild, and the writing task was interesting. At first, I faced some problems, but I found this page https://paperap.com/free-papers/into-the-wild/ with paper examples, and the process became faster and easier for me. Now I have such a writing experience, and maybe, one day it will help me to write another Wattpad story.

As this is a passion project, I'm looking forward to reader feedback/input. You can react to this post (I am following this thread) or you can leave a comment on the Wattpad platform, of course.

The link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/313381869-miserere-the-last-of-the-neandertal 

image.png.76cc971f394a43f1ed09c022fc3d7264.png

Thanks for sharing this! I've read a few Wattapad novels, and now I'm looking for a new one. Your post made me interested, and I'll for sure check your novel. It's a September, so I think it's already finished

Edited by RobertHurley

The " Neandertal " is approx. 80 km away from my hometown . East of the cities Düsseldorf, between Mettmann and Erkrath, lies the Neander Valley. A good 166 years ago, in 1856, the remains of a man were found there who made the valley and its name world-famous .

Neandertal.thumb.jpg.ed5717e1fe4e5f83ea9e80835660d00c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Learn something new every day. I've never heard of Wattpad before this post. I wasn't able to get the link to open anything other than a "missing page" message.

I've been working on a non-fiction book since June. It has no title yet but is an examination of how the idea called "civilization" - now about 7,500 years along - is leading inexorably to the destruction of the biosphere and probably the eventual extinction of H.sapiens. I would like to finish by Christmas and will publish on Amazon. I find the greatest benefit of writing to be the "clarification and testing of one's ideas." It's also handy to give to friends who in various discussions will say, "What? What do you mean by THAT?"

"Here's the book, dive in! 😀"

Writing is also a fabulous way to spend the oodles of time one has once retired.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Learn something new every day. I've never heard of Wattpad before this post. I wasn't able to get the link to open anything other than a "missing page" message.

My book is finished and is now ONLY available on Amazon globally. Amazon's program doesn't allow other ways of distribution, so I had to delete the Wattpad page. 

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0B7MLG494/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_KDSGN7085HM18CT8B6Z0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MicroMara said:

The " Neandertal " is approx. 80 km away from my hometown .

In Belgium, we have the 'Man of Spy', whose museum I visited two years ago. It was my first source of inspiration to start the novel. Then, a good friend was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, which developed into part 2, and while I was writing I also got the idea to write about artificial intelligence and 'digital rot'. That's part 3.

On the 15th of October, I'm taking part in a local art project to 'come out' with my writing. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

My book is finished and is now available on Amazon globally. 

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0B7MLG494/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_KDSGN7085HM18CT8B6Z0

Now I got it Melo ! You´re the author of this book ? I´m impressed and consider to order it . As I´m not a amazon member I will instruct my doughter to order it for me . Won´t happen before tomorrow as my doughter isn´t at home today .

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

Now I got it Melo ! You´re the author of this book ?

Yes I am! 

I totally forgot I'm using a handle here - MeloManiac - which could lead to confusion. 

Please read my initial post (see above), in which I explain why I wrote this book. It was a very personal journey. Hope you enjoy reading it! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MicroMara said:

The " Neandertal " is approx. 80 km away from my hometown . East of the cities Düsseldorf, between Mettmann and Erkrath, lies the Neander Valley. A good 166 years ago, in 1856, the remains of a man were found there who made the valley and its name world-famous .

Neandertal.thumb.jpg.ed5717e1fe4e5f83ea9e80835660d00c.jpg

My album of Man of Spy pictures

https://www.flickr.com/gp/ivanlietaert/7726w2iPK9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1