Klipsch promedia 2.1 thx computer speakers not working

ashley965

My klipsch promedia 2.1 thx computer speakers stopped working after I had turned off my pc for the night. I don't usually have the volume high and the subwoofer is usually kept at the same level. I tried unplugging and reconnecting the speakers, as well as resetting my computer and checking my computer settings. I hear the buzz from the subwoofer and the light on the control panel for the speakers work. I also tried connecting the speakers to different devices but it still doesn't work. I know the control panel works because I tried connecting my headphones to the control panel and it works. I'm not really sure what to do about my speakers. I bought my speakers in January of 2021 and they have been plugged in and used most of the time I had it except for maybe 2 months. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, mcr.312 said:

Mine does not have volume, power, etc.  Only dog hair.  😄

Resized_20220919_114825.jpeg

If the LED is blue, it means that your speakers are connected to some other source, maybe your phone or a tablet you have in the house. You should disconnect this device and then try to connect your computer to the bluetooth speakers. 

I have had a simelar issue with an Amazon Fire tablet that somehow always got priority to connect and by that prevented my phone to connect. Only when I forced the Amazon tablet to 'forget' the speakers, I was successful in connecting my phone.

Your challenge may be to figure out what device is connected to the speakers...

If the LED is white, you should be able to connect. If you can't... there's a problem!

image.thumb.png.16162505cb3773135d959ad4c39b003a.png

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

(Skip to the 3rd paragraph for trouble shooting) This isn't a fix but this is my experience with my ProMedia speakers. One day I turned my PC on and the speakers sounded muffled like if the sub was working but not the mids. I disconnected the speakers and put them away for a couple of days. I took them out again just to see what's up. Initially there was zero sound at all. Worse than before. So what I did was I turned on the BlueTooth and connected my phone to them and started playing music from my app. There was no sound coming out of the speakers. I left it like this for a little while and boom all of the sudden the muffled sound came back. So I left the music on but I turned the volume all the way down (I didn't want to hear the annoying muffled sound). I kept on checking for sound by raising the volume every so often (still muffled). I then turned the music off completely but kept the speakers plugged in. After 10 minutes I turned on my music app again and for the first second the sound was clear and then turned muffled again. I hit skip on the track and it did it again for the following track (Clear sound for 1 second then muffled). I turned off the music app and I disconnected everything and reconnected everything while keeping the power on.  I then Hit next on my music app VIOLA!!! Sound!!

I have no idea why this worked but I think it has something to do with moisture/humidity. I suspect this because I distinctly remember the night before the speakers stopped working I had left my AC on On and not AUTO meaning my AC never turned off during the night and the following morning is when my speakers were not working (I live in a very small studio and when I leave my AC for too long things get condensation on them). I'm not sure why my dinosaur brain thought that maybe the insides were wet and they needed to "dried". I know it sounds dumb as hell but it worked for me.

So to make a long story short, connect your speakers and play music through them (my only point of reference that they were receiving power was the white LED light). If there is no sound just keep playing music, the muffled sound will eventually come back. Once the muffled sound comes back keep playing music through them with no volume for like 10 minutes. Disconnect the mids completely but keep the subwoofer plugged in. Now reconnect everything and start playing music again. It should work. 

Like I said before I have no freaking idea why this worked for me or what the issue is as I have no electrical knowledge at all.

I hope this helps someone or if someone can help me with pin pointing my issue so I could then provide proper repairs. 

• 6 months later...

I have this speaker system. 2 satellite speakers and a subwoofer. It appears to be a tad high grade with strong bass sound.

I normally use a sound card to get quality sound and I used Creative Labs sound blaster X3 External sound device. It worked for almost 2 years.   All of the sudden, it stopped working,  I could hear the bass part and the rest is totally and entirely distorted, it is a horrible sound. I contacted Microsoft because they were doing updates and upgrades to Windows 10 included a rebust EDGE browser update. Whatever it is, the Klipsch speaker system stopped working. Microsoft tried to help 4 times. Creative Labs' techs 3 times. Klipsch tech guy said not to use  External sound sound devices or DACs digitial analog converters. 

I tried different speakers ORION Legacy which costs half what Klipsch cost. And it works beuatifully,. The Creative labs X3 devices in direct mode gives you a high quality sound.

The question I have what is wrong with Klipsch speaker?  I updated audio drivers, windows drivers, configured, and reconfigured for hours to no avail. One tech said that Windows is doing heavy duty updates to Windows 10.  Is it possible Klipsch speakers are no longer compatible?  I noticed that the subwoofer uses SERIAL port cable going to the satellite speaker. I did enjoy the sound and the subwoofer for bass while it work. I would hate to throw the 3 pieces to the dump. Any suggestions, anyway to make it work again?  I am exhausted from troubleshooting.  Thank you much and have a pleasant day.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 6:34 PM, Guido Cruz said:

I have this speaker system. 2 satellite speakers and a subwoofer. It appears to be a tad high grade with strong bass sound.

I normally use a sound card to get quality sound and I used Creative Labs sound blaster X3 External sound device. It worked for almost 2 years.   All of the sudden, it stopped working,  I could hear the bass part and the rest is totally and entirely distorted, it is a horrible sound. I contacted Microsoft because they were doing updates and upgrades to Windows 10 included a rebust EDGE browser update. Whatever it is, the Klipsch speaker system stopped working. Microsoft tried to help 4 times. Creative Labs' techs 3 times. Klipsch tech guy said not to use  External sound sound devices or DACs digitial analog converters. 

I tried different speakers ORION Legacy which costs half what Klipsch cost. And it works beuatifully,. The Creative labs X3 devices in direct mode gives you a high quality sound.

The question I have what is wrong with Klipsch speaker?  I updated audio drivers, windows drivers, configured, and reconfigured for hours to no avail. One tech said that Windows is doing heavy duty updates to Windows 10.  Is it possible Klipsch speakers are no longer compatible?  I noticed that the subwoofer uses SERIAL port cable going to the satellite speaker. I did enjoy the sound and the subwoofer for bass while it work. I would hate to throw the 3 pieces to the dump. Any suggestions, anyway to make it work again?  I am exhausted from troubleshooting.  Thank you much and have a pleasant day.

I have now had the same issue, and it is occurring more frequently, and lasts a lot longer. I have not had my PM2.1 BT work for two days now. Occasionally, I can get the sub to emit some volume, but it is unintelligible due to no mids or high ranges. Even connecting the analog cable to my phone does not play sound, so it is something in the Sub's main board that is going out. It is super annoying!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 11:56 AM, dc_IV said:

I have now had the same issue, and it is occurring more frequently, and lasts a lot longer. I have not had my PM2.1 BT work for two days now. Occasionally, I can get the sub to emit some volume, but it is unintelligible due to no mids or high ranges. Even connecting the analog cable to my phone does not play sound, so it is something in the Sub's main board that is going out. It is super annoying!

I have the same issue,  did you ever find a solution ?

• 4 weeks later...

I have this speaker and one day when I had music playing some crackling kind of sound was coming from my speaker and then they turned off. I have not been able to get them to turn on since and I have unplugged all the cords and plugged them back in and they are still not working. When the speaker is plugged in there is no lights that turn on or any sound that can be heard. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem is thanks 👍

(when I was playing music it was pretty loud and was a song with lots of bass)