Sophia S.E.T. Princess - Interesting NEW Tube offering

Some interesting tidbits from Enjoy The Music Pre-CES Show report passed on by J-F (Pantheon) concerning the new Sophia tube with some amazing qualities if all true (and that remains to be seen). Jean-Francois seems a bit interested looking into something that might employ this tube. We'll see.

sophiaprincess.jpg

Sophia Electric
will have their new
S.E.T. Princess
tube. This design is claimed to set a new format standard for 300B tube having
"all the characters of a 300B and adds far more sonic beauty to music. Big, open sound like 845, sweet like 300B, delicate like 45 and 205D."
The Sophia S.E.T Princess offers 6 watts of single-ended power or 30 watts in push-pull operation. Typical single-ended triode operating point is 5V filament, 350V - 400V plate voltage, -24V bias (50-60ma bias current), and 3K transformer.

Very interesting...

Have you ever considered moving to a 300B amp Kelly? I haven't listened to one myself, but I know one or two AA inmates that sold their Wright Sound Company 2A3s in favor of the Mono 8 - 300B offering from WSC.

It's great to see a company that is trying to produce quality tubes. I myself would like to see them successful at it. As long as they stand behind their product.

- tb

I have to come clean and admit that I really prefer the 2A3 tube to the 300B most of the time unless in the right amps. Both can sound excellent given the right circuit and implementation as this has a lot to do with how well the tube will exhibit its best qualities. On the whole, I think the 2A3 is more open and neutral sounding than the 300B implementation I have heard. It has a different type of presentation that is slightly less thick sounding although that is WAY TOO strong a word to describe the difference. This is the trouble with words and the connotations as THICK is not exactly it. The 300B seems more romantic sounding while the 2A3 seems very sweet and detailed with more clarity perhaps. IT's a hard call and both a good. I think the 2A3 is better for rock. I really liked the last 300b amps I heard at Jean-Francois' house. The 300B seemed to have a strong lower end yet is not as tight a low end with good iron as the 2A3. AGain, different operating points bring out different sonics.

Usually, between thte Wright Sound gear, most prefer the 2A3 amps to the Mono 8s. Those that I have talked to said this. Actually, you dont see near as many mono 8s around. I almost bought a pair for $600 three years ago but descided against it.

Still, one of the best sounding systems I ever heard in my life was an original Cary 300se SET with the optional power bank chassis. Still, I dont think this would be a rock amp..but was magical and sublime with smaller scale music to the point of bringing tears. I have to say that system is the only system I have EVER heard that brought tears to my eyes even with music I DID NOT LIKE.

kh