The Fives no sound on any source

Any ideas for a fix on this? I have had a set of The Fives for just over a year, mostly using them for TV sound from our Samsung The Frame. I have had a few HDMI ARC hiccups from time to time, similar to others I have seen posted here. Usually a quick power on/off or reset of the TV’s sound settings fixes things.

For a couple of weeks however, the speakers have stopped working completely. They power on and all the LED lights beside the volume and input wheels work as they should, but there is no sound from any source. In the past when there were HDMI issues, the Bluetooth and aux/phono inputs still worked normally. Now no inputs work. They do seem to be switching between inputs according to the LED’s, just no sound. If I unplug the speakers and let them sit a minute then plug back in, they will work normally. But after the TV is off for a while, when I turn it back on the same problem happens. They were updated with the latest firmware back when it first came out and have been working fine with it until now. I have also performed a factory reset of both the speakers and the TV. 

I swear they must have been programmed to self destruct one week after my warranty expired. I’m a huge Klipsch fan and I love their sound and style, so I’d love to get them working and keep them especially considering what they cost. But this is incredibly disappointing and frustrating, especially after the amount of software hiccups I’ve already put up with over the last year. 

Edited by nathandarby67
  • Like 1

Glad to see this post. I'm having exactly the same experience.

No major issues up till now, but this latest problem is consistently knocking out sound each day until a full power off.

As far as I can tell nothing has changed on the speakers themselves. Only the app to manage settings has updated within this timeframe.

I'm on an older Sony TV using HDMI ARC. But sound is unavailable on all sources once the issue starts.

1 hour ago, Ghen said:

The problem is the ******* BT, if you have your phone with the BT on, it links with the speakers and you lose the sound. It is pathetic and Klipsch doesn't fix it yet.

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. When the issue did arise before, simply turning off Bluetooth on my phone would not restore sound on the speakers, even when switching input to Bluetooth. They needed a full reboot.

Edited by NavCon
Added "on my phone"

I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one too. 

Had mine since January 2021 and in the last 2 to 3 weeks having the same problem of no sound on all sources. I have to reboot the power to speakers for it come back, only for the same thing to happen the next time I go to use them.

Very disappointing,  klipsch get this sorted ASAP please. These are premium speakers and we're expecting a quality service. 

UK customer,  bought on Amazon. 

I noticed today that I can't connect the speakers via Bluetooth. I performed a factory reset a few times, forget the device, and uninstalled/installed the app. Nothing helped - as a result, even if I see that speakers are connected to the phone or laptop - there is no sound.

Same issue here, so I immediately contacted Klipsch support, here’s their response:

We are aware of an issue with the most recent firmware update. Our software team is working diligently to release a new version to resolve this bug, but in the meantime, you have these options:
- Turn off the "Auto-Standby" feature on the Fives, and leave them on all the time. The Fives should not pull much power from the outlet when not in use. You can adjust this setting by opening the settings tab in the Klipsch Connect app.
- Do not use the Klipsch Connect app in conjunction with the Fives until the bug is resolved.
Obviously, the first option is preferred, but some you may not be comfortable leaving the speakers on all the time.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the info TomasB, glad to see I ain't the only one with the issue, started experiencing this for the last month or so, didn't happen before, glad to see that it is only an app connection issue apparently and not something in the speakers themselves.. Started noticing it as well that only after I connect to the speakers via the app the problem starts.. I'll try to stay away from the app until they fix it.

-Thanks!

Sorry to pile on here with a "me too", but: me too.

I have a sense that this is somehow related to eARC? I have a Samsung S95B with eARC connect to The Fives. My only other source is a Sonos Port using the Phono input. One workaround that has served me is to use the app to disable AutoPower. Then, when I'm finished watching TV for a while, I select another input, like Phono. Then, once I turn the TV off, The Fives will stay powered on, and the next time I'm ready to watch TV, I turn it on, and it auto-switches to the right port and it's all good.

But on another note, has Klipsch made any comments about this? Verified there is a problem they are working on? The behavior really is dampening my enjoyment.

I'm not sure if this is related to a firmware update or the app, as others have hinted/wondered.

• Like 1