Should I Buy a Tube Amp?

Dave Carpenter

There are trade-offs for every piece of audio equipment you could possibly want or buy. I totally agree with JMON your best judge is your ears. Audition as much equipment as you can and let your ears make your decision. The biggest mistake is to buy only what you can afford at the time and than regret it later on. C-J builds quality equipment and should serve you well for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good info re tube amps. I'm trying to put together a 2-channel system with LaScala's & a tube amp. I like what I've read about the DecWare and Jolida amps. Can anyone share their experience with these amps? The DecWare looks like it puts out only 5 watts. Jolida has several models, but they have a minimum of 25 watt output.

Any suggestions? Do you also need a pre-amp with these set-ups? Thanks.

Thanks for all the good info re tube amps. I'm trying to put together a 2-channel system with LaScala's & a tube amp. I like what I've read about the DecWare and Jolida amps. Can anyone share their experience with these amps? The DecWare looks like it puts out only 5 watts. Jolida has several models, but they have a minimum of 25 watt output.

I had a Zen amp for about 25 days. 5 watts is an optimistic valuation of it's output. I think 1 watt is closer to the truth.

I sent it back. It couldn't drive my Khorns at even nominal listening levels.

I would look into Jolida if I were you, the integrated amp variety. Not the best out there, but a good taste of things to come, from what I've heard.

If you want to do some work, get a Dynaco ST-70 power amp. That will be closer to hi-fi than the Jolida. But it will take some work, and a preamp.

I had a Jolida 502, original "A" series, for awhile.

I wouldn't suggest Jolida if you're looking for something that's going to sound a lot "different" than solid state, in some kind of more "tubey" way. The Jolida are nice sounding, reasonably well built, reasonably priced amps, but they don't "sound" like a tube amp; they are very neutral and sound more like, uh, ( confused.gif ) not a tube amp. Geez, that's sure helpful, ray... What I mean is, if you want to go to tubes 'cause you like the way tubes sound, the Jolida may leave you a bit disappointed 'cause it doesn't have much real trace of what people consider "classic" tube sound. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the Jolida I had and a good quality, similarly powered solid state amp. That's why I don't have the Jolly any more... didn't sound any different than, say, a Bryston B60 or Musical Fidelity integrated, but had hot glowing tubes that kept burning cat's paws.

On the other hand, if you want a tube amp that has a very subtle shift away from the analytical side of solid state with a bit more warmth ( confused.gif whatever that means) at the expense of maybe a touch less bass definition, the Jolida may be just right.

Of course, once you buy one, you will be forever wondering whether that Phillips NOS JAN-spec 5751 replacement for the stock 12AX7 really opened up the midrange, or just bumped down the gain at the extreme bass and treble, and whether the Electro Harmonix 12AT7EH has more snap than the stock Sino version, and whether swapping KT88s for the 6550C is worth checking out... biggrin.gif

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, thanks for your help. I am very happy with my LaScala/Heresy home theater setup with Yamaha receiver. In two channel mode, the LaScala's are fatiguing to listen to after awhile (course I play 'em kinda loud). I guess what I'm looking for is "brightness" or "aggresiveness".

If the Jolida wasn't that different, are there others you have tried and/or recommend? I've been trying to find information on the Dynaco - are they still in business? Antique Sound Labs appears to have a wide selection for reasonable dollars - has anyone out there tried them? Thanks!!

HT_ANDY....I recently replaced a Carver TFM22 with a pair of McIntosh MC30's (tube monos) and am very satisfied with the difference. They have mcintosh power (6L6) tubes in them, which I thought, big deal, RCA makes them for Mc, but RCA must make them to a different spec. I've tried Svetlana's and RCA's.....then stuck with what sounded best to me....the mc's.....the amps are quite a bit different then the Carver. I'm using them with Khorns. The Mc's sit right on top of the Khorns with Audioquest Slates connecting the two. The only thing I notice is a ringing (not very often) in the mid horn which I didn't notice with the Carver. I've read thats correctable with dynamat...I'd take that anyday over the SS power. I'm definitley sold on tubes! smile.gif

I meant to say I'm looking for less brightness. That's what I get for doing this late at nite.

gto6 - thanks for the info. I don't know much about monoblocks. Do you use a preamp? Can you use phono input? Interesting that the tubes make that much difference. I'm looking forward to catching the fever!

Mojo-Mdeneen hit the nail on the head! I use my Mc's/Khorns for music ONLY, I have a seperate system for HT. That lets me run my disc player directly into my amps. When I want to spin some vinyl, I switch the interconnects back to the preamp, alittle awkward right now, but its work in progress! I just picked up an AH! New Tube disc player that when run direct is real nice sounding. Hopefully the original poster "Dave_Carpenter" is listening. I think he and were at similar crossroads a couple months apart.......with the Carver to tubes changeover.

I think the term "FINISHED" is used very loosely in this instance. I told my wife I was finished with my HT....which I am finished. I bought the reference series, Sony 5.1 reciever and a couple subwoofers....does a great job! The stereo is and will always be "work in progress" for me. Two completely different systems in 2 different rooms. I wouldn't dream of combining them. The HT does have a nice music channel, but there's nothing like crancking up those big ol' horns!

mdeen is right about that whole measurement business. At the dawn of the 21st century (and I suspect at the dusk too) our ears/brain remains the most sensitive detector we know of. Mr George Wright has designed perhaps the ultimate amps for klipsch products. His WPA 3.5 monoblocks can really hammer with a pair of khorns if that's what you're into. I suspect his new pushpull 2A3 based amps would be the things hifi dreams are made of. His 10 watt push-pull 2A3 amps are $1700 per pair. The WPA 3.5s are $1300 per pair (I think) If I had Cornwalls I'd try the 10 watters. Of course I use his preamps too. Simply musical, lifelike. I've never regretted them. Some of you know I also have Mac SS gear--good stuff too. But particularly with a quality recording of solo guitar or voice, or small jazz group, the "lifelike" thing seems easier to pull off with the Wright gear.

jwgorman

Thanks everyone for the info. I travel a lot - been gone for 5 weeks. Back now for a while. I'm auditioning the Conrad Johnson PV12 preamp & the Premier 11 tube amp downstairs. My CD player is a 5 yr old CDP 701ES. Got to make a decision in the next few days.

I'm not a real hi-level audiophile. My Chorus II's & the old Carver amp suited me well for a long time. But, I listened to a lot of different show room setups lately.

On this combination, the voices are simply fantastic. If the CD is technically recorded well, the voices are better than anything I've ever heard - it mesmerizes me. I also tend to listen at higher volume levels because the music is so clean.

Of course, the level of detail is much higher - sounds that were muddled before can be separated. You pick up chair squeeks & background noise in some of the recordings.

My son tells me that the amp took some of the edge off the speakers - that they aren't as bright. I'm not quite convinced. Songs with a lot of voice, simple instrumentals and very recently recorded rock are good to excellent. Some of the older material seems too "busy". Too much detail & a bit edgy to me. Sharp transients on notes, etc.. Not sure what it is. Could be problems with the older CD player, or could be a bad CD recording.

The system isn't forgiving of bad source. I like Stevie Ray Vaughn, but a lot of his recordings are average quality & the CJ amps drive it home. It's particularly noticeable when you're skipping around from CD-CD testing the amp out.

I do love the look & feel of the CJ amps. Build quality is excellent. Tempted to buy them for the voices alone.

Thanks for the help... I have until Saturday to decide on these amps.

Dave

In the end, I bought the C-J PV14L tube preamp and the C-J MF2500 SS power amp. Very nice combination. To my ears, I preferred it over the pure tube system. The Premier 11 amp sounded fantastic on voices, but a bit odd (jumbled/jumpy?) on complex orchestra and was unforgiving of my old rock cd's. The SS amp seemed more even over all - very easy on the ears. Not as magical on the voices, but very musical & easy to listen to for a wide variety of music.

Thanks for the advice everyone.