Finally got my new receiver!

spin

I finally got my new Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX. I had a Denon Avr 3803, but it was defective. I see now how much video upconversion means. It was a big help with the Denon. I'm not sure I like the Pioneer yet. I am having problems getting everything hooked up. My DVD, VCR and TV works, but I dont know if it is just right. I would appreciate any PATIENT person to read this and give advice:

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX

TV: Hitachi 43in. with 2 component inputs, 2 standard

a/v inputs, 1 monitor out with s video and standard

a/v output, and a separate place to hook up audio

the TV

DVD: 1 component, 1 s-video, 1 coax., 1 opt, and

standard a/v in and out.

VCR: Standard A/V in and out.

Cable Box: Standard Audio in and Standard A/V out.

Everything works, but when watching TV, I have to crank up the volume on the receiver to +10 to hear it , but there is alot of hissing. Also, I have to switch to a separate input to access the onscreen display no matter if I am watching tv,dvd or vhs. With the Denon, no matter what I was watching, the OSD was available at the pust of one button on the receiver's remote. Not so with the Pioneer. Also, I dont think the Pioneer will memorize my favorite speaker settings for each of the different modes. Any advice is welcome.

Spin,

Some TV's have an option that allow you switch between fixed output or variable volume for the audio out portion. In the fixed mode you should have enough signel being sent out that will allow you to adjust the amp volume like you are use to. If it is the variable mode then you will have to turn up your TV volume to get enough signel output. Best sound is from the fixed setting.

Good Luck

Spin,

Your post elevated my curiousity so I totaly unwired my HT and rewired it having all my devices running thru the receiver, usually I have only the audio going thru and the video directly going to designated inputs on the tv.

So here is what I have now

Xbox component video DVD/LD input

Cable RCA SAT

Cabe S-video TV

Regardless of what input selection I was under I was able to pull up the setup screen.

As far as the sound issue I did run into that problem but it was a cabling issue.

I am not sure if the 49txi video switching is different than the 47tx.

Sorry I wasn't able to come up with a solution.

At this point all I can suggest is to start over again.

Good luck

Scott8.gif

I can't get an OSD unless I hook up my monitor out on the receiver with a video cable to a video input on the tv. I don't think that this is right especially if you can access the osd through any component. Also, what are the pros/cons of not running and not running the video through the receiver (audio only). Fewer cords, easier hookup? I'm pretty new at this stuff and want to hear both sides.

I believe the 47tx requires the monitor out be connected to the tv via the s-video or the RCA jack.

Only the 49tx and txi are able to utilize OSD thru the component video (not 100% sure on that but pretty sure).

The reason I do not use the video portion of my receiver is if I am watching a movie I can switch video inputs to say check scores of 2 games using PIP then switch back to the movie. The input of the amp is not affected thereby preventing any type of spike produced by switching inputs (to the amp or speakers).

Cabling would require 3 additional sets of cables, which we all know would be a fraction of what we would spend on equipment.

Feel free to email directly if you have any more questions or feel you ned a little more confusion in your life.

Scott

9.gif

This may or may not help you, seeing as how my setup is pretty much "low tech" compared to yours, but when I try to run a signal to my receiver from my TV, it also must be turned up and introduces distortion. I just turn off the TV's speakers and turn up the volume on the TV and it increases the signal to the receiver. Not sure if this will help, but it's worth a shot.