Dales Dynaco Mark 3 about half done

NOSValves

Well the major part of Dale's Mark III's are complete and working and sound pretty darn good already. I rebuilt the Multi section Capacitor setup and installed the Trido front end board so far ! I'm going to listen to them for a few day before the rest of the planned mods to see if they yeild even better sonics. I have to change the tube sockets next so I'll clean up the sloppy wiring from the previous builder than.

Before

mark3_before.jpg

After

mark3_after.jpghttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/craigostby/mark3_before.JPG'>

CRAIG: Nice work so far, i'll drop you a e-mail soon and we can chat about the binding post issue.

HOFY: I've never even seen these amps yet, they went from the e-bay seller direct to craig.

I've got more than enough ss gear to keep just about anyone happy including myself. So with that said craig can take as much time as he needs to restore these vintage monsters.

Thanks Everyone

I just spent a few hours with them babies blasting at 95 db and listened to Billy Holiday , Some Orchestra ? , James Taylor , Early Bruce Springsteen and Match Box 20 for good measure. I can tell you right now this things sound completely different then when they came here. To tell you the truth I was not at all impressed with them sound wise when they got here and was almost agreeing with Mobile's comment about them. But now they are warm , detailed , Lots of depth and sound staging. I like them alot already !! Wait till I slide them into triode output if it does what people say these could be very good. When I get done that wring is going to look much neater . Its just easier to clean it up as your changing the Tube sockets to gold plated beauties.

Dale,

Sure you don't want a Scott 299 1.gif

I'm pretty sure I have the perfect solution for the binding posts I can either fit 2 positives in or maybe even 3 which then we wouldn't have to eliminate any taps and the amp wouldn't lose it versatility. But if I can only do 2 positives which do you figure you would most likely want with those stacked Khorns ? What do you figure there load is 4 . 8 or 16 ohm ??

Craig

CRAIG: there load should be back to 8 ohms but i'll check for sure.

i've removed the second headset as i was dealing with to may x-over issues plus the top was starting to dis-colour from being to close to the pot lights in the ceiling. They sure looked scrary as hell when you walked into the room but untill i can spend some time finding the proper programable active crossover to use they will revert back to the way paul intended them to be.

What would the benifit be of having 8 and 16 output choices VS 8 and 4 ohm outputs.

These tubes will always remain on my k-horns or lascala's so the sensitivity is the same on both.

Dale,

Others have said that you can get better sonics with other taps then 8 in some situations. I've never tried it so can't really say but naybe some others can chime in with some advise as to which would be better if we do get stuck with only 2 options. I do know one thing the original Mark III's only had 8 and 16 ohm taps if that means anything.

Kelly,

Thanks I still can't believe they left that connection completely off the instruction's. I'm going to make Ned aware of it so he can add a note to the instruction's. I really don't think many people buy them and solder them up themselves because there really isn't much of anything about soldering the boards up except a little chart saying 220K goes to R12 and so on. The entire thing covers about a 1/4 of a page that is seperate from the normal manual.

Craig