Ideal Innovations tube amps

eapiel

ideal_stereo.jpg

These have been mentioned before. The power transformers on the units look VERY small but with BIG endbells. They supposedly use three power trans -see quote below. My bet is the iron in these things is on mediocre side given the cost. At the best, you are looking at a 30hz low end with the outputs on any of the amps. Better iron yields better extension.... But at the cost, not a lot of competition around. Personally, I would opt to spend a bit more but for a trial run, not a lot of ducats to risk. Who is going to be the first taker? Probably not a helluva power supply in these ole beasts...

"The circuit board is a high quality woven fiberglass material and is not prone to brittleness and heat deterioration, from which phenolic and bakelite materials suffer. This board is hand wired using eyelets for mounting all components and wiring. We use no printed circuit boards in our amplifiers. Flame proof resistors are used exclusively. Electrolytic capacitors with a minimum of a 85 degree Celsius operating temperature are used to ensure long life. Some capacitors are rated at 105 degrees C.

There are three power transformers one for the plate supply and two for tube heater supply. All power transformers are UL approved. The audio output transformers are Ultra-linear with a rated frequency response of 29 Hz to 28 kHz."

I dont know of a single person that has opted for one but someone almost did about three months ago. He disappeared like the wind... They actually had more pics on their old site, with a few of the wiring of the $200 or so stereo unit. My honest guess it would be "ok" sound but nothing mind blowing and probably not on the same tier as a vintage unit brought to spec.

Then again, they seem to have a return policy but with a loss of at least the $50 shipping charge plus another $75 "administrative" charge (plus the return shipping charge). Hmmmmm.... It's a tough call. Sonically, dont expect miracles but it would be safe to say that any Circuit City option in that price range would probably sound far less musical.

kh

That nOrh amp looks to be made at the same Chinese factory that makes amps for ASL and Passion Kits etc. This Chinese factory makes a host of amps and sells them to manufacturers with their badge applied. The quality control of these pieces is really not the best to me, but others have been happy.

In all honesty, vintage units brought up to spec would probably walk all over either of these options. Perhaps "walk all over" is a bit strong but something close to it. Hey Hofy, your next goal should be to upgrade that ole NAD 502. I agree that amps are more fun but given your amp already, I would look to the source for the biggest sonic leap.

kh

Kelly,

I plan on replacing the 502 now that I have the display working again. I bought the 299 so I had a tube amp while I rebuild the Eico ST70 and visa versa. The only reason the ST70 is even sticking around is that my grandfather built it.

I also am on the lead for 4 Sylvania 6BQ5/EL84 Black plate NOS in original boxes. We shall see what comes, Klisch people first if I let them go.1.gif

The only reason your ST-70 is sticking around is your Grandfather built it? This amp is thought of VERY highly, especially with a few mods here and there. I would ditch the front plate and make one out of neat hardwood with some interesting knobs. The output iron is very good. Besides the tube choice, it's a hard amp to beat, surely far better than the new options when all working. To me, it's an ugly beast but a new face plate from a buddy woodworker (doesnt everyone have one of these friends) and you have a really cool option that sounds excellent. Would be a fun project.

As for the NAD 502, that is the NOTORIOUS problem with them. Almost EVERY model I know has had the display drop out. It's an ok piece but the treble purity is not the best and it's also a bit soft in the bass. IT isnt too hard on the ears, however. A first run Rega Planet would be a HUGE leap.

kh

First off, major apologies to eapiel for taking over your thread.

----------------

On 1/12/2003 3:19:23 AM mobile homeless wrote:

The only reason your ST-70 is sticking around is your Grandfather built it? This amp is thought of VERY highly, especially with a few mods here and there. I would ditch the front plate and make one out of neat hardwood with some interesting knobs. The output iron is very good. Besides the tube choice, it's a hard amp to beat, surely far better than the new options when all working. To me, it's an ugly beast but a new face plate from a buddy woodworker (doesnt everyone have one of these friends) and you have a really cool option that sounds excellent. Would be a fun project.

As for the NAD 502, that is the NOTORIOUS problem with them. Almost EVERY model I know has had the display drop out. It's an ok piece but the treble purity is not the best and it's also a bit soft in the bass. IT isnt too hard on the ears, however. A first run Rega Planet would be a HUGE leap.

kh

----------------

I didnt mean it that way with the ST70. I just will not use it as the main amp. The main reason being all the extra circuits and the 7591 tubes. BTW I am that wood worker Friend. 9.gif I wish I was that Metal worker friend

Hofy, are you saying it has a lot of extra circuits compared to Scott integrateds or to modern tube integrateds? Heh... I wish I was BOTH the metal worker and woodworker friend! Although I can stumble around in my buddy's full shop and do some things, the difference in someone who "knows" the trade is not subtle. I love watching a good woodworker. My grandfather on my father's side was an expert as is my uncle. My dad launched into academia at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill... Sadly, his idea of woodworking involved the fireplace and getting a cord of green oak.....heh.

kh

Kelly, first off, if it is a machine I can control it. It doesnt matter if it spits out metal, plastic, cheese, or finished product in a box. I will make it happen.

Right now I am a Computer Network Tech making computers talk to each other.

The right machine in the wrong hands is worse than the wrong machine in the right hands.

Good line, Mike...

I dont know, Hofy. I am good with machines as well. The point with the woodworking is the CRAFT and art of it that is learned with experience combined with some sense of aesthetics and talent. There is a big difference between a craftsman and a weekend warrior. I was trying to make that distinction. Ie. Anyone can learn to operate a machine with some acumen. Few become gifted enough to produce art.

kh

Hofy,

Was that you that won the auction for that 299A yesterday ? If so you did well !! I'm going to have to caution you here though. I'm not sure of what equipment you have there for testing but don't just put that amp in everyday use without a check up and a slow start up with a variac. That is a nice piece in what looks to be great shape it would be a shame to waste it !! Scott amps are not built like EICO there a different circuit and have a few parts that absolutely have to be checked and replaced before you use it !! If you need advise or guidance just drop me a email

Craig

No apologies necessary for hijacking the thread. I am a tube newbie and wanted to get some opinions of you experienced users and certainly got them.

Here is the email I received.

"Please let me give you a brief back ground. Ron (our engineer) and I

have been building tube amps part time for over 30 years. We have both

owned and operated several businesses very successfully which continue

to run today. It is just this past year that we are both now able to

dedicate all of our time to this as a full time operation. So I feel

that we can honestly say we have been in business for more than 75

combined years.

Because Ideal Innovations is relatively new, we have not yet acquired a

professional review of our amps. We are an AudioWeb partner and listed

with Audio World as well. There are links to these sites on our site.

Please feel free to email any of our customers on our feedback page for

their personal opinions of our amps. Don't forget that we have a return

policy to help ensure customer satisfaction.

It would be possible to pick up an amp from us here. However we do not

have a showroom or a store to do demonstrations from.

At most times we do have stock of various models of amps but sell out

frequently and are always building more. Right now we have a Stereo 50

and a Stereo 25 in stock and are working on our new Stereo 100's.

It would be a pleasure to provide any further information you may

request."

Thank You for your inquiry,

Syd Beaumont

Ideal Innovations

www.idealinnovations.biz

I was considering driving approximately 3 hours to try out one of their amps but do not have an "experienced" ear when it comes to tubes coupled to Klipsch (Forte's, in my case). So I will probably be impressed either way since I have nothing to compare it to. Bottom line is you folks here seem to think restored vintage is a better idea.

So would I be better off with an Eico, Scott, or perhaps Dyanco? These things are all over E-bay but I am wary buying old equipment from a stranger for what I think are inflated prices that everything on E-bay seems to command. (People seem to want to win an auction more than actually pay a reasonable price)

Keep the replys coming!