AW-650 Repair Blog

dom

Hello community!

I bought a new pair of Klipsch AW-650 about a year ago, and directly damaged them on the second party in my garden.

(Note: I need to buy some subwoofer, the mids and highs of the AW-650 are fantastic, but I miss the lower frequencies with them.....)

They're driven by my Yamaha A-S701 amplifier.

Because I missed the deeper frequencies a bit, I played around with the bass and loudness controls on my amplifier until I was kinda satisfied with it.

Unfortunately it seems that I've turned the volume then up too high and suddenly all two speakers (low/mid range chassis) stopped working simultaneously after a few minutes. 

I've sent it back to my supplier to check if that's some case of warranty, but they told me that such a thing cannot be handled with the device warranty, therefore I've bought two brand new ones and in the meantime I've ordered new speakers for the two damaged AW-650 speakers. 

Unfortunately, I could not find any datasheet (practically I was not able to find any data about the loudspeakers that are installed in them).

Therefore I thought - I will just order something that I think might be appropriate. My eyes fell on a "LaVoce WAF061.80", which I finally ordered.

Details can be found with the following link.

http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/LaVoce/WAF061.80

Quickly I've realised that the M4 screws inside are too short for my new speakers, so I needed to adjust some things to fit them in.

The attached pictures shows the original chassis with the mentioned M4 screws, and the new LaVoce woofer.

2_IMG_0247.jpeg

9_1_52241ee4-cdcf-4d2b-b146-e5ea69983ef3.png

Edited by dom

Adjustments I did was to shorten the M4 screws further down to be able to install some distances with M4 threads to be able to screw the new chassis down.

Also needed to prepare the housing and the new chassis a bit to fit in.

9_2_6a90d702-336b-4162-acb2-b8bc1ea1ee25.png

9_3_fec330fd-ee6c-40bd-9bf2-011c7ac172f7.png

9_4_d3b8b8dd-3793-432c-8783-b6204839f709.png

New speakers fit in nicely and also sound good. Obviously, the deeper frequencies are still missing. 🥲🥲🥲

I also guess that Klipsch built that frequency divider / (passive) crossover exactly for that combination of speakers. 🤔

I also have a few questions to the people here that are actually knowing what they're doing regarding building loudspeakers and so on ... (what I cannot tell from myself). 

What's the purpose of that foam inside the speakers? I've read something that this should have an effect of "virtually increasing the room" inside the speakers, but I cannot really follow / imagine how this should be possible when actually decreasing it? 

With the adjustments I did, do you think I should try to remove it, or remove a bit of it? Do you think that would make the sound worse or better? Can you even tell that in advance? Guess this loudspeaker room/chassis/foam setup is a tested and calculated thing especially for the combination of the (original) components? 🤔

Also, do you have any suggestions regarding a subwoofer for the outside? That's not really just a garden but a kinda big place with a view down to the valley, so there's nothing that would reflect the bass back. I was thinking of combining my two (or four 😅 now) AW-650s with some kind of a 18" PA subwoofer? Something like that: https://www.thomann.de/at/the_box_pro_dsp_18_sub.htm

Or do you think that's a bad combination and know something different / better? 🤔

Thanks in advance and greetings from Austria,

Dom.

spk1.jpeg

spk2.jpeg

Edited by dom
  • Like 1

Welcome! 

Know enough to say, depending on how low and loud the subwoofer you want is, you need look at the specifications. Not necessarily the size for choice. If you are happy with the AW-650s high end, any changes will result in changes in balance.

Tell us more about what you are wanting to do in an outside all weather environment please.

Thanks, @dom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 4:32 AM, dom said:

Hello community!

I bought a new pair of Klipsch AW-650 about a year ago, and directly damaged them on the second party in my garden.

(Note: I need to buy some subwoofer, the mids and highs of the AW-650 are fantastic, but I miss the lower frequencies with them.....)

They're driven by my Yamaha A-S701 amplifier.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:51 AM, dom said:

Also, do you have any suggestions regarding a subwoofer for the outside? That's not really just a garden but a kinda big place with a view down to the valley, so there's nothing that would reflect the bass back. I was thinking of combining my two (or four 😅 now) AW-650s with some kind of a 18" PA subwoofer? Something like that: https://www.thomann.de/at/the_box_pro_dsp_18_sub.htm

A large subwoofer with a powerful amplifier will be a very good addition to your application.