Problem receiver speaker

Romaingarcia

9 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

If both speakers are not working and you have the cables connected between the speakers and the receiver, the settings in the receiver might be the reason.

12 gauge cable is not too thick, just play it. I have 10 gauge cables in my systems and the sound is as good as any.

Ok I will try to change something in my settings but I don’t know what to change ahah. I put the setting in 2.1 without subwoofer and after the detection is automatic.

thank you for your help guys ! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

If both speakers are not working and you have the cables connected between the speakers and the receiver, the settings in the receiver might be the reason.

12 gauge cable is not too thick, just play it. I have 10 gauge cables in my systems and the sound is as good as any.

Do you think the problem is maybe my HDMI cable ? I’m not sure is a eARC one… 

I have two klipsch RP-6000fii connected to an onkyo tx-sr494 connected by two banana cable 12 gauge. The receiver is connected to my Samsung tv with a HDMI eARC cable. The system is pretty simple, so maybe there is a problem inside the speakers or the receiver.

Edited by Romaingarcia

Let's see if the speakers and cables work.

Disconnect the speakers from the amp at the back of the amp so the cables are still connected to the speakers. Then take a battery, doesn't really matter what kind of battery, I'd try an AA battery first and then maybe try a 9v if you don't hear anything with the AA.

Each speaker has two wires, you are testing one speaker at at time with two wires. Hold one of the speaker wires to one side of the battery, doesn't matter + or -. Then tap the other speaker wire to the other side of the battery. You should hear thump noise each time you tap the wire to the battery. Don't hold both wires to the battery for a long time, you are just making quick connections on/off.

Repeat with the other speaker.

If you hear noise from the speakers then it's your receiver that's the problem.

Essentially you are making a pulsed square wave signal to the speaker with a battery. Depending on the polarity of how you connect the battery the speaker will either push outward or pull inward each time you tap the battery with the wire.

This is also a very useful trick to test phase of a speaker if you are unsure. Placing the + of the battery to the + of the speaker should push the cone outward.