Buying and HT receiver online

arc

Has anyone had any experience buying online. Do you recommend it? I have noticed the prices are much cheaper. Has anyone had any experience with bndonline.com specifically.

Secondly, I am building an HT and throwing out everything but my KG3's any recommendations on a receiver for <=$850. I am looking at marantz 6300 and 7300, onkyo 700, and yamaha 5590. Are there and major differences between these in terms of sound production.

Arc-

I highly recomend NOT buying online UNLESS the part comes with a FULL manufacture's Warrenty. Some ppl around this forum will disagree with me, but I have recently purchased a Parasound Amp (local authorized dealer) & Acurus ACT-3 (Authorized Internet dealer) and BOTH were broken on deliverly! The Parasound has a bad channel which "crackles" until you cycle the power to the unit atleast once. The ACT-3 had a bad digital board. Needless to say, I'm a bit gun shy about buying from an internet dealer since a good portion of them are not authorized dealers and the manufactures warrenty is void. There has been some debate about the legality of such warrenty policies, but IMHO its not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

-Dave

Most of my setup was bought on line from either ONECALL or Sound City or Amazon.com

ONECALL is authorized by klipsch for their disconitnued products

SOund CIty is fully authorized dealer

pay no attention to the soundcity website which says klipsh is for retail sale only call John at X708 via the sound city 1-800 website and tell him your requirements im sure he will get you a good price on any of the items you have requested. For 850 you can do quite a few different things like getting a pre-pro like the parasound hca 855 with a quality pre amp check around ebay and audigon.

I bought my Denon 3802 online and I haven't had any trouble with it. I even have it registered with denon. Just make sure that you aren't buying a reburbished system and you will be fine. I also purchased my speakers online and again they are registered with Klipsch. The company that I bought them from gave me a 3 year warranty and simply told me if I had any problems, just to box them up and ship them back. They would be replaced for free. Lets hope I don't have to do that, but at least they will take care of me. So I would not shy away from buying online, but just watch what you are doing and get high quality equipment.

RJB

I usually buy from Sound City as well, just bought a NAD CD Player with warrenty and it is beautiful and came promptly and in perfect condition. Their prices, from what I have seen are the best and they will work with you on shipping. From my experiences I have never had any problems with them and they have always given me a price that another authorized dealer couldn't touch. So I usually go straight to them.

epinions.com rates many on-line resellers. If you buy new warrantied product from reputable resellers you should be able save about 30%. Of course the local resellers provide value in 30 day return for any reason, personal support, in-home consulting, etc. If you aren't getting a lot of support from your dealer then on-line is the way to go.

I bought a Denon from Sound City over 5 years ago (AVR 2000)...still works like new.

I bought a Camcorder from M&K in NY...5-stars on epinions. I ordered it from my cell phone and had a factory sealed boxed w/5-year warranty upgrade the next morning at 10am. No pressure upsale or bait and switch. I asked the local reseller to come within 10 or 15% of their price plus tax but they declined.

OUTLAW.com has awesome customer support. I bought mine used and filed a warranty claim.