MADE IN JAPAN????

heresy2guy

It pained me so when I bought my first CD player in '84, a Carver DTL-100 (also known as "The Compact Disc Player")...it was made in Japan, and not in Washington state. What gives?

I've owned quite a few Nakamichi cassette decks over the years (680ZX, DRAGON, BX-150, etc.), but the latest models I bought in '97, the Nakamichi DR-1 and DR-2, are both made in the Philippines, and not Japan!

Well, at least my Omega Seamaster chronometer is still hand made in Switzerland!

And thank God new McIntosh amps aren't made by Clarion in Japan!

No point...7.gif

Today only the best Pioneer,Onkyo,Sony products are made in Japan.Its sad quality of Japanese products has gone down the sink.I have a Mitsubishi U56 and 67 VCR's,both made in Japan,still work well,solid built and the U56 is 10 years old still works like a charm.I purchased a JVC U9800 SVHS not too long ago,Made in Malaysia.Guess what the POS may look high-end but inside resides a cheapo POS mechanics all istalled on thin metal plate!Top of the line JVC? Top of the dumpster yes.A near $1000CAN VHS should be made in Japan and not in Malaysia.

Also my Denon DCD 3520 was made in Japan,a near 50lbs CD player and over ten years running! NO PROBLEMS,the laser is almost finished but the rest is A1.Today to get quality Made in Japan you pay thru your nose,my Pioneer DVAX10 is a $5000US DVD/SACD player,sure Made in Japan and 50lbs solid but it costs much more then the almost as well built 10 year old Denon.As is the case with the SOny SCD1,anther fine Sony made in Japan product.

I have a Toshiba 5700 DVD player,built quality is as cheapo as it gets.I know the unit will break after 2-3 years of heavy use(if it lasts that long).Attach a baloon and the 5700 takes to the air LOL

Better cheaper,in a fool's dream only.Most of the time you get what you pay for

As for amps I will ONLY buy made in USA or Canada(I have a Krell,a few Celeste and ATI)no cheap garbage.Costs more...DUH.And so what,the quality the power is unmatched by trash can lightweights.I prefer to give jobs here by buying North American products.

----------------

On 1/14/2003 9:57:43 PM jt1stcav wrote:

It pained me so when I bought my first CD player in '84, a Carver DTL-100 (also known as "The Compact Disc Player")...it was made in Japan, and not in Washington state. What gives?

7.gif

----------------

I've got a Carver TL-3100 stored away and it still plays too. It just gives an faint but annoying tic-tic-tic-tic when the disk is turning. Plus I think it just sounds like crap compared to my Mac MVP-841.

Just seems to be the natural progression of capitalist society: Fortunes are built on the backs of cheap labor and low taxes. Then, labor unionizes and for for awhile the wealth is shared. Quality of life improves for all as society benefits from the industrial expansion. Ah, but greed must rare it's ugly head! (The love of money IS the root of all evil!) Labor unions want more and more; Shareholders want more and more. Taxpayers want more, too. This is soon followed by that "big, sucking sound"; of jobs going to Mexico...and China, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc.

We did it to the Europeans. Japan did it to us, and now, China is doing it to Japan. What goes around come around.

An over-simplification to be sure, but it works for me.4.gif

.....class dismissed 9.gif

----------------

On 1/15/2003 12:28:16 AM tblasing wrote:

I've got a Carver TL-3100 stored away and it still plays too. It just gives an faint but annoying tic-tic-tic-tic when the disk is turning. Plus I think it just sounds like crap compared to my Mac MVP-841.

----------------

The DTL-100 was the very first piece of Carver gear I owned that failed me on several occassions, all being transport failure. After two repairs at a Carver service center, it finally gave up in '89 and I left it for Goodwill to either fix or throw away! If it was made in Lynnwood, WA, would it and your TL-3100 still be in tip-top shape today?

Gotta love that MVP-841...13.gif