Separate HT and 2 channel system with 1 set of speakers?

amheck

Just thinking ahead.... I currently have a 5 channel HT system setup with Rf7, etc.  I'm planning to add in some heritage speakers and a tube Amp. 

2 routes I see you can go.  One, you can add the 2nd 2 channel setup alongside the first, 2 totally separate and distinct systems.  I think I can figure out that part.  As long as you have the space, I think this would work OK. 

However, if I wanted to go down to 1 set of speakers, is there a quality A/B switch box that would somehow allow a HT Avr and 2 channel tube Amp to live harmoniously with 1 of speakers? 

FWIW, here’s what I do.

Terminate the speaker cables with banana plugs.

Wire the amplifiers' speaker connections with banana jacks.    In the attached photo, you can see the banana jack configuration in my TV room, where I have 4 speakers (main L&R, center, single rear), and 7 stereo amps.   (Unfortunately, the jack panel that I use appears to be discontinued.)

With the amplifiers powered off, you simply plug whichever speakers you want into whichever amp you want.

I could explain how I handle input switching, however I don’t own an AVR, so my method isn’t relevant to you.   (Does your AVR have pre-amp outputs that you can connect to your tube amp?  Again, I have no experience with AVRs.)

TV_room_jack_low_res.jpg

TV_room_hi-fi_low_res.jpg

• Like 2