Burning in ProMedia 2.1?

schalliol

This is one of those "Religious Issues" that create no light but a lot of heat, hate and pseudo-science. I suggest that the real test of a speaker is ultimately how it sounds to the user. If one feels a need to credit (or blame ) the sound quality to/on the breakin procedures or lack thereof so be it.

I enjoy my 2.1's and I sincerely hope you will enjoy yours whether you choose to engage in some means of breaking them in or not. You have chosen Klipsch ProMedia and therefore you have chosen well.

Sure I agree with this, but nonetheless it seems that the speakers need the flexing, etc. before they create the designed sound....similar to the way you break in a car. I'm willing to bet that if you buy other Klipsch speakers (big ones) that they describe the ideal way to do this.

I broke my KLF30's in precisely as prescribed by Klipsch. I hooked the black wire to the (-) terminal and the red wire to the (+) terminal and had at her

11.gif

They sounded glorious from note #1 and any improvements in that sound have occurred immediately upon installing equipment that was capable of supplying a better signal.

Enjoy your 2.1's

Firstly Congratulations on your new RF 3's ! You are going to really enjoy them I am sure.

Secondly I am going advise you break them in by whatever means you think would be best - Not because I believe the speakers will benefit in any sense but because it is clear that you won't rest easy unless you do.

Have Fun

Speakers just don't "break-in". I've replaced drivers and cannot hear any difference between it and its twin. There has never been a test showing a change in performance or T-S parameters. It's voodoo. You will believe it or not, but you cannot prove "break-in" occurs.

However, your ears-brain will become accustomed to the sound of new speaker systems after a short period of time. This is what "break-in" actually is.

Why would manufacturers recommend this process if there's no use? It doesn't make them any money or anything like that.

http://www.smr-archive.com/forum_2/messages/1664.shtml

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/40156.html

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/speakerguide/6.html

http://www.tivolihifi.com.au/tips.ihtml

http://www.paradigm.ca/Support/TechFAQ/TechFAQ.html#Question16 (called break-in here)

http://www.fredsoundofmusic.com/newsletter5.html

http://www.soundreproduction.com/discussion/loudspeaker/messages/245.html

If you need more, I can provide. I was just asking a question about how best to do this process on these speakers (sheesh!). I made a post about poor quality sound out of the box on these, now they seem not to distort as much, etc. I'm thinking that this process has begun.

Thanks

One can also find any number of links to individuals and organisations that fervently believe that the earth is flat, that man has never set foot on the moon,that bigfoot really exists in spite of the hoaxster's confession and furthermore I would not be the least suprised to find a site that asserts that Mars is red because it is covered in marinara sauce. The mere fact that a statement is made on a web site does not make it credible.

I find it annoying to be asked to provide an opinion and then having responded find that the person requesting that opinion is falling all over themself trying to prove me wrong . If you find my advice lacking then follow your own inclinations.

If you feel a need to break your speakers in then by all means do whatever seems best to you

schalliol,

All but one of your references are flat earthers. Even Paradigm provides no proof. Think logically. How many cycles are required for "break-in to occur? 100,000or 1M? How many times can a paper clip flex before it breaks? If it's 100k, how many seconds is that at 10k Hz? How many is that at 100 Hz? Even a million is just under 3 hours.

Think. Why would a speaker manufacturer, other than Klipsch, want you to spend a week listening to their speakers before you listened critically and maybe returned them because you hated their sound? If you kept them a week and got use to the new sound you wouldn't be nearly so ready to return them and cancel the sale! Why *would* Paradigm want to keep from losing sales?

If break-in were real and caused by movement loosening the driver's suspension, why hasn't someone become rich and famous documenting it and analyzing the optimum amount so speaker manufacturers can immediately delight their customers? "Where's the beef?"

I hardly think that this process is part of a consipiracy by speaker manufacturers to have you keep them in your home for a week. Most instructions I've seen do not recommend you're listening to the speakers during the process, as most of the burn-in tracks are noise across the audible spectrum. In fact, if burn-in is done at higher SPL the so called "Wife Approval Factor" may come into play as there would be periods of just plain noise eminating from the listening room.

Why is it so hard to believe that the material of drivers' surround is not as flexible right after production as after it has had a chance to flex a bit? Some manufacturers do the burn-in at the factory, negating the need for the conspiracy theory. Even though audio authorities can measure the before and after response and find the process (at least on speakers) useful, I still see no reason for manufacturers to recommend this process if there's no benefit. I know if I didn't expect it, that if I bought expensive speakers and was told I couldn't really use them for critical listening until a process was completed that I'd be disapointed. Causing me to be unhappy with my purchase.

So, I've found several references (very quickly) including manufacturers that indicate that you can should do the process. At this point I am assuming that these manufactuers have done some homework in this area. Rather than just insulting me, perhaps the best thing for you to do is find someone who has measured response before and after the process and finds nothing worthwhile about it.

I believe that I was clear in asking for information when I made my post. Others did not seem to understand this and insulted me through my assertion that it MIGHT be worthwhile to burn-in speakers. As, I felt attacked, I thought that I would attempt to provide some backup for my assertion. What else would you expect when people write such statements as "Think.", contending that my thoughts are totally absurd?

I think you are missing the point also.

Being told that the information you are relying upon is nonsense does not imply anything about your intelligence. Your adamant insistance upon holding to that information as being the truth regardless of other opinions does however suggest that you are not open to examining your beliefs in regard to this issue and therefore there is no point debating the issue further. As I have said repeatedly throughout this discussion If you are convinced that burning in your speakers will have some benefit then by all means do so. In fact I recommend that you do so as it is obvious that you are convinced that your speakers will not perform optimally unless you do so.

Enjoy !

Sure, I was trying to determine if Klipsch has a recommended procedure for this, I wouldn't have asked the question if I knew the recommended way to do it. Look above at some of the comments made, don't you think that a more appropriate response would have been: "Research I have seen indicates that there is no point in burning in speakers"

I have not had "adamant insistance upon holding to that information as being the truth regardless of other opinions". My assertion is that many credible organizations believe that it is worthwile to do this type of procedure for speakers. If an opinion based on at least some sort of testing indicates that it is not useful or recommended, then I would be fine with that response. Nothing I have seen here indicated anything other than feelings. If there was something else, I must have missed it.

Normally if your car manufacturer recommended that you not drive it over 80 in the first 1000 miles or something like that, you would not ask them to prove that there is a reason for this comment. However, if you were told from someone else that it is pointless to follow that, you would want some test to indicate this, since the manufacturer ought to know best how to deal with its own product.

In this case there are so many manufacturers and industry experts that indicate that burn-in on speakers is good that SOME sort of test providing the contrary is in order. If Klipsch says not to burn-in my speakers as a statement, that's fine with me, I won't do it!

....I even said ok to your post about no need for the procedure and was going to leave it at that. Since you brought the issue back up, I thought you wanted to discuss it.