Win XP and ProMedia not compatable !

cashughes

I upgraded from Win 98 to XP and now I only have sound from 1 speaker. My sound card is Creative CT4780 Sound Blaster Live. Creative web site indicates that it does not support XP and that Dell is responsible for making the drivers as the sound card is proprietory to Dell.

Anyone have a solution other than buying a new sound card ? If not what is the best card to buy for my cherished Klipsh sound system ?

Jas.

Win XP seems to be a very stable platform on my domain. Out of the 6 client machines all but two is running XP pro. One machine is Domain Controller ADV Server 2k and the othe oneis 98se. The 98se is very high maintenance. If I could toss it I would.

too bad the Audigy is owned by the same company that make cambridge Sound stuff. It would be a great service to offer consumers a bundle which included the required sound card and the Pro medias.

Scott

Hi Jas.

The CT4780 is a version of Creative Sound Blaster Live Value.

You can use the Creative driver if you desire.

However the CT4780 is a faux 4.1 sound card at best.

I would highly recommend the addition investment in the audigy 5.1 sound card.

Hope thi link works if not email directly and I can help you find an audigy 2 for around $115

good luck

Sorry for

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=634683/search=audigy/ut=c0343921082772c4

----------------

On 1/20/2003 3:16:21 PM bruinsrme wrote:

too bad the Audigy is owned by the same company that make cambridge Sound stuff. It would be a great service to offer consumers a bundle which included the required sound card and the Pro medias.

Scott----------------

there are better cards out there. M-Audio's Revolution is one that just may be better than Creative's Audigy. For music, the SantaCruz, GTXP, Fortissimo, DigiFire, Acoustic Edge, and more are all better than the Audigy and every up to the Audigy.

I have the promedia 5.1s, and they work fine with xp. They also used to be hooked up to my old gateway running ME with a soundblaster live! value and i still got sound through 4 channels. Its also been hooked up to audigy platinum on XP, and GTXP on XP....and all worked fine (except i only get 5 speaker music from the GTXP)...id say it probably has to do with your connections, or maybe settings on the computer....not xp

I have suX-P at work. It locked up and gave me a blank, grey screen 3 times the first day I had it (apparently MS got tired of blue screen jokes). They took my hard drive, wiped off 98SE and put suX-P on it and reinstalled it in the same machine. It's been trouble ever since. In 7 months we've had 2 service packs installed by remote control. I have a 10 Gb HD and roughly 100 Mb of data files and 7Gb of suX-P and Office XP. It's criminal! And Slow! You can't believe how slow!

Well, from an IT persceptive XP is faster and more reliable than 2000 which is very stable.

I love XP and the ease of locking the operating system down. Crashes are down, virus impact is down. Now I don't have to worry about the user using companies bandwidth so they can download MP3s, viruses, worms and so on. Sure XP will run slower but is far more secure than 98se.

XP and office XP are a blessing from the administration viewpoint. Your problems are not isolated there is probably some older hardware in your system which is not XP compatable.

keeping the subject matter focused on Klipsch, I did finally hear the Pro medias and al I could say is WOW.

If you speakers are vintage they will still work well with the latest Receivers.

If your computer is vintage keep me employed and buy a new Pentium 4 system.

Thank you for your support

scott

In the office here, as a result of five years of accumulating PC's while companies expanded and contracted, I have (concurently operating):

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows 2000

Windows ME

Windows NT Clients (4.0)

Windows NT Servers (4.0, a slew of service packs)

Windows XP

Sun E250s running Sun Solaris 8 (OS 2.8)

HP 9000 (various) running HP/UX 11.0

Of all of these, Solaris is the most stable until the box is brought down suddently (power failure), and it does NOT like getting up after a fall... fsck, fsdebug make any PC os look almost user friendly 10.gif

The HP/UX is more resistant to sudden hard (non-software related crashes) and comes back up easier, but doesn't protect against application generated system PANICs as well as Solaris...

Windows XP has, so far, been BY FAR the most reliable and user-proof version of windows I've had. Almost getting to UNIX-class commercial readiness. ME was the most singularly awful OS that I have ever used.

...and I thought I should add that when I called ME "the most singularly awful OS that I have ever used" I have used:

TRS DOS

Apple II DOS

Apple III SOS (Apple "sauce" - get it? May have been worse than ME in retrospect...)

CP/M on various S100 bus systems

CP/M-86

PC-DOS

MS-DOS

TOPS

BeOS

S/34 and S/36

370 OS

VM/CMS

MVS

VMS (Vax and PDP-11)

various system V UNIX flavours

UCSD-P code

and whatever the hell the DEC-10 ran on, don't remember now...