Heritage components

Excuse me if the answer to this has already been covered. 

Are the mid and tweeter components of the heritage components all interchangeable?

I see some units have the same designation k-77-v but are ink stamped "K-horn" for example.  Did klipsch designate certain component to specific models based on actual measured performance?

• Like 1

Why in pairs?  Also, did Klipsch originally select specific driver units for each type of model?  From some of the older speakers I've seen, they appear to be ink stamped with the model they went into.  I wonder if Klipsch was more selective the higher you went up in the model line?  Does anyone know?

I saw where Paul Klipsch sent an owner a letter with two tweeters for a K-horn in the 1970s and stated that these were "matched".  

On 6/24/2023 at 12:37 PM, chronometers said:

Why in pairs?  Also, did Klipsch originally select specific driver units for each type of model?  From some of the older speakers I've seen, they appear to be ink stamped with the model they went into.  I wonder if Klipsch was more selective the higher you went up in the model line?  Does anyone know?

I saw where Paul Klipsch sent an owner a letter with two tweeters for a K-horn in the 1970s and stated that these were "matched".  

Klipsch tests every component and/or speaker.  In the early days, particularly with the T-35/K-77, it has been said each one was tested and sorted and some sent back.  From that, we can infer the better performing drivers MAY have been installed in the more expensive models, like the Klipschorn.  There were also different crossovers in the " W" series that may have been an attempt to accommodate driver performance.  Only Jim Hunter and Wooly Mammoths were alive back then.  😆.

The short answer, now, is a K-77-? and a K-55-V/X and a K-33-? can be exchanged for any other, though there are some subtleties that may make you refrain from swapping some, particularly the woofers. 

Were you to have enough drivers and the test gear you could cull the lower performing examples, too. 

• Thanks 1