Socal Horn Group Meeting...

ChrisK

Looks like there will be a meeting at Dr. Bruce Edgar's shop on February 1st at about 1:00pm. Keep an eye on the "High Efficiency Speaker Asylum" at www.audioasylum.com for further details. Dr. Edgar has John Eargle lined up as guest speaker.

Check out this quick bio on Mr. Eargle -

"John Eargle holds degrees in engineering and music from the Eastman School of Music (B.M.), University of Michigan (M.M), University of Texas (B.S.E.E), and Cooper Union (M.E.), was with the quality control department of RCA Records, and served as Chief Engineer for Mercury Records. During the seventies he worked for the Altec Corporation and formed the firm JME Consulting Corporation.

Since 1976, Mr. Eargle has been associated with JBL Incorporated, Northridge, California, in the areas of product development and application. He is a Fellow and honorary member of the Audio Engineering Society, and is a past President of the AES.

Mr. Eargle is a reviewer for the AES Journal, is a member of the Acoustical Society of America, the SMPTE, the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, and a senior member of IEEE. He has published extensively in technical and popular magazines, as well as penning standard reference books on audio, including Sound Recording, Handbook of Recording Engineering, The Microphone Handbook, and Handbook of Sound System Design. He is active as a recording engineer, having now engineered and/or produced over 60 Compact Discs, and much of his work can be heard on the Delos label.

He has recorded such artists as Carol Rosenberger, Bella Davidovitch, John Browning, Arleen Auger, Janos Starker, Richard Rodney Bennett, and Garrick Ohlsson. Among the ensembles he has recorded are the Seattle Symphony, London Symphony, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Helsinki Philharmonic, Oregon Symphony, New Jersey Symphony, Mostly Mozart Orchestra, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, New York Chamber Orchestra, Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, the Roger Wagner Chorale, the Westminster Choir, and the Ascension Music Group of New York. In jazz, he has recorded such notables as Joe Williams, Red Holloway, Ruth Brown, Clark Terry, Tommy Newsom, and Etta James. Albums by Joe Williams and Ruth Brown have won Grammy awards in their respective jazz categories.

Mr. Eargle has received two Grammy nominations in the category of Best Classical Engineering. He is a fellow, honorary member, and past national president of the Audio Engineering Society, and in 1984, won the Society's Bronze Medal. Mr. Eargle joined the faculty of the Aspen Audio Recording Institute in 1980, and has served the Aspen Music Festival and School in the capacity for the past 16 years. He is a member of the Corporate Board of the Music Associates of Aspen. Mr. Eargle is a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences as well as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Long an experimenter with surround sound, Mr. Eargle was involved in the recent Los Angeles Conference sponsored by the International Alliance for Multichannel Music. He is presently recording all large ensemble sessions on multitrack with the eventual goal of releasing them in a surround sound format to the consumer. "

Sounds like an interesting afternoon.

Regards,

Chris

Andy, I sent you an email with some details. Here a few things to keep in mind...

1. In honor of Dr. Edgar's charter membership in the "Greatest Generation" it is requested that you wear the following:

Short-sleeved dress white shirt

Plain white pocket protector w/ at least 3 pens and 2 pencils (#2)

Black-framed horn rimmed glasses (preferably slightly crooked)

Black slacks ("floods" are preferable)

Black shoes w/ white socks

Slide rule (optional)

Or, you can ignore the above and wear something with "Stanford" on it and you will be the Doc's new best friend.

2. Prepare for ingestion of some nasty eats, particularly Thor's 12-layer "Mystery Dip".

3. Bring some cotton for your ears as invariably someone will bring a driver to be tested/measured and there will be some very loud screeching.

4. If the he has a Titan system up and running, be prepared to hear some amazing music.

In reality this group is very informal and open to anyone. Most of what is discussed goes way over my pointed head, but it is always a pleasure to attend.

Regards,

Chris

PS I performed a MS Word spell/grammar check on this post and whatdoyaknow, Im up to a 7th grade level! If I keep up my current progress, Ill be out of high school by 2008!

Andy---In our Chicago horn club we only have a couple of guys who use Klipsch, I think lots of Klipschies are unaware of the greater horn world or uninterested in it. One of the more astute posters here is in Chicago and never comes to our meetings, a pity. Watch out, after you start hearing those Edgars and ESO's Altec A5s you might not be a Klipschie much longer. :-) Or maybe not. In any case you'll hear some very impressive stuff.

TBrennan, I have not yet heard these, but am aware of their existence. As a kid, I used to see the Altec VoT and wish I could afford them. Somehow, I ended up with Klipsch. Maybe thanks to a good saleman back in the 80s somewhere on Northwest Highway...I can't remember the name now (I lived in Des Plaines). I am aware of the 400 hz glare they produce, but don't see myself spending the $$$$ on new horns.

Chris posted this and it looks very interesting and easier than the Altec mod:

BTW Dr. Edgar is working on a replacement/aftermarket midrange horn especially designed for Klipschorn owners. He says it will be a big improvement over the original.