Which Test CDs?

Colin

With over four thousand views on my Music to Bomb Baghdad by topic I could not be happier. Only Bill Maher knows how it feels to be so popular. Now I am shooting for 400 posts. Perhaps I will get it with this one. My question is this: what CDs do you use to test systems and why?

A friend invites you over to hear his set-up. The room, music, source and all components are not familiar to you. None of his equipment is similar to yours. You have a limited time to judge the system, so setting up the tripod with the SPL meter is out.

What do you play to get a general idea of the range, tone, depth, reach and imaging abilities of a system? What are your favorites and your references? What are your touchstones for grounding your subjective experience in the realistic world? What this CD do that other reference or test CDs do not? Whose voice do you have to hear and which band?

2.gif

For accurate bass reproduction, I always turn to this disc:

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, transcribed and performed by Jean Guillou at the Great Organ of the Tonhalle, Zürich. Dorian DOR-90117.

The 1988 Kleuker-Steinmeyer pipe organ has two 32' pedal stops for the bass: the 32' Principalflûte, a large open flue stop who's largest C pipe a man can literally crawl through it's entire 32' length, and the 32' Bassoon in the Pedal Division's reed section; this rank of pipes produce the classic "blatty" vibration-tone you hear with most large pipe organs. The lowest C pipe produces 16 cycles per second (you can almost count all 16 beats), and with the high wind pressure for this rank being forced through all the Bassoon's resonators as they are played, you can equally feel the gut-wrenching solidity of each bass note within this stop!

On track 2 (Gnomus) is one of the finest examples of thunderous deep organ bass; the air in my music room almost shudders (if my 15" home-made subwoofer was connected to my Cornwalls again, the walls would flex and blow out the glass in my window!). This CD should make lovers of pipe organ recordings rejoice! Jonathan Scull and Larry Greenhill of Stereophile magazine use this CD as a reference to test loudspeaker's bass frequencies.

For female vocals, this is my CD of choice:

Rebecca Pidgeon: The Raven, Chesky Records JD115.

Pidgeon's voice can range from soft and sweet to solid and full-throated, while maintaining good vocal timbre and image size. Her singing is very three-dimensional and dynamic, and conveys lots of emotion depending on the song being sung.

"Spanish Harlem" is one of her songs that remained pure throughout its performance, as delicate as the flower she depicts.

For male vocales, I really dig this recording:

U2: The Joshua Tree, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (24KT gold plated Original Master Recording) UDCD 650.

What can be said about Bono that hasn't been said already? Bono's voice has exceptional emotional power and intensity, and this digital remaster of an old analog recording is proof that Bono has effortless control. This recording is still very transparant and clear, and is my choice for the ultimate demonstration of the male voice.

My favorite CD for soundstage and imaging, and for the perfect sweet spot:

Rendezvous: Jerome Harris Quintet Plays Jazz, Stereophile STPH013-2.

The soundstage width is outstanding on this 20-bit CD! The holographic imaging, presence and depth all seem to blend effortlessly when you're seated in the sweet spot.

Track 3 (The Mooche, by Duke Ellington) is one of my favorites. If you read the CD's liner notes, the vibes are placed stage left, the trombone just right of center stage, the alto sax is far right, the acoustic bass guitar and kickdrum center, and the drum kit is across the entire width of the stage!

These four CDs I would bring to audition the components of my friend's new audio system. To me, they are the ultimate in perfect sound, recorded using today's state-of-the-art technology, and the reference to which all others are to be judged! Just my opinion, of course. 2.gif

I'm impressed, jt1stcav, that's a great cross-section of sounds... particularly the pipe organ choice. Now, except for the realization that Tampa Bay has a "WAIT 'TIL NEXT YEAR!" post game yelling opportunity, you have proven yourself to be quite broadminded... so maybe this is the time to configure your avatar to be shrunk to proper proportion... and we Raider fans would not take you for being as narrow minded as your avatar would have us believe.

Which reminds me, I've got to get my horns lowered in salute to your fine musical selection... may they bring you peace and comfort after the game. =HornEd

Thank you, HornEd. Coming from you, that was truely a compliment that I very much appreciate! I don't confess to know a whole lot of anything, but I do know what I like...my music (which ranges from classical symphonic/orchestral works, organ and choral works from the 16th to the 19th centuries, theatre organ music from the silent film era of the 20's, big band and jazz from the 30's to the present, classic rock from the 60's and 70's, and some of today's alternative bands from the 80's on). And I like my music, whether it's a Bach chorale prelude or songs about love from The Cranberries, the Corrs, or The Cure, played through my vintage horns!

I've kinda grown fond of my narrow-minded avatar (makes me look younger and thinner)...maybe later on I'll replace it with a picture of me hugging my Cornwall. 9.gif

I'll leave my feelings regarding the BEST TEAM TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL out of this thread...2.gif

Cheez Whiz and a golly gosh darn, jt1stcav, you're a prince of a guy and that sure makes it hard to rabble rouse against your first team. And I agree we should let the better team win... how do we check that... in Las Vegas? =HornEd

PS: You are a prince and I really do like your selections... and as an Army combat vet, I have too much respect for the 1st Cav to try for much humor there. Hopefully, we will be in for a good game this year and not like some of the Super Fiascos of yesteryears. Cheer up, it's only a game... just look for a (blank &) silver lining... and treat your horns to an invigorating fugue.

Thanks again, HornEd. Even though I'm not a combat vet like my dad (6 years, with a tour in Nam), we 'uns from the military past have to stick together for the future! Even if our choice in Super Bowl teams differ, our choice in horns and fine music don't have to!

Just curious...what CD references would you use to audition new loudspeakers and/or components?

I don't think i could just pick one. So here would be a small list

ELO's greatest hits

Rush Moving Pictures

Just about anything by David Arkenstone

Oh.. And my new Lord of the Rings "The Two Towers" soundtrack. That has some great sound in it.

I think that would give me a good idea.

eh.. forgot one... If he has a DVD player, a true must, The Eagles's Hell Freezes Over!