BOOM BOOM out go the lights!

mmiles

Just hooked up the SVS 2039pc+. Man oh man...

I don't have a spl meter or a avia type disc to calibrate therefore this is not a technical reference only my two ears or what is left of them!

First I set the speakers to small, next set LFE to sub only (duh) and then cut all speakers to 0db flat, in other words no gain from one distinct channel to another (this I may play with) and the sub output to -6db. There was so much bass (XXX ch. 21, "zander" was snowboarding and avalanche) the walls were shaking and the TV was vibrating.

So I got a little bit nervous that I would damage my TV and knock the fossils (2 cheap 50 mill year old fish) of the walls I cut the sub output to -12db and the gain on the sub itself to half way and changed the speaker config to large.

With that set up it is unreal! Next I will play with phase since I have the speakers set at large. What a great upgrade for under $800.00 ($798.00 "B" stock).

Regards,

Mike

Sounds sweet 4.gif. Yeah, that avalanche/snowboarding scene out of xXx is pretty awesome. Even my REL Storm III was causing things to shake in that one!

Glad you enjoy your new SVS 9.gif!

P.S. where at in Maryland are you? Depending on where you are at, you should not be to terribly far away from me. I'll have to let you come over and give my system a listen. I would not mind checking yours out also (especially the SVS - I would really like to listen to one).

m00n, you really ought to cruise the SVS site http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ ... there latest about-to-be-realeased sub is the B4... it's a big $2,500 passive box that should outperform a covey of RSW-15's. As a passive sub, you get to choose the amp that suits your room best. I would recommend a Crown Amp. For less money you could get a pair of Ultras and a pro-style amp that will breath more deeply than anything you now have.

And, they are the kind of trustworthy people that make buying on the Internet a breeze. They have the best customer service bar none. They have a money back guarantee... if you don't like it, all you pay is shipping! You know that the we veteran Forum folk tend to watch out for one another... and I have yet to see the first post where any Klipscher has been treated less than wonderful by the folks at SVS. Besides, Tom Vodhanel who designs the subs (and is the "V" in SVS) is a long standing Klipsch owner... and a member of this Forum.

Don't be surprised that when the B4 is released if a new sub is headed my way. I bought two of the original twelve Ultras ever made... and as a result I have five Klipsch subs in my storage room. Yeah, m00n, I was trying for an all Klipsch HT too... and with more than two dozen Klipsch speakers on hand, you can't say I haven't taken my best shot at it.

Some folks may not agree with me... but I think most know that I try to tell it like it is. Face it, m00n, you've got a long time to think about Heritage... but that bonus says that your date with the BASS AUTHORITY (SVS registered slogan) is fast approaching. Next to a full size MAIN as a center... an adequate subwoofer is the next most important buy in HT. And, my friend, you have come up short in the bass end. 15.gif =HornEd

Horn, how do you suspect an ultra would sound with my RSW-12 and 15... Now what I am thinking, and perhaps you would have a better recomendation, placing the two klipsch up front where they always have been, then putting an SVS-Ultra in the rear....

I just can't imagine needing more sub, and or lower frequencies? You guys say they go deeper, but jeebus, how low can they go?1.gif

Hmm, eh, I dunno, I would part with my 12, but not my 15...

My twin Ultras hit 16 Hz with authority and 20 Hz at 122 dB... your RSW-15 claims 30 Hz at 112 dB. You would need two RSW-15's to hit 118 dB and I doubt you could hit Dolby Digital Reference Level for professional theaters (121 dB at 20 Hz) with three RSW-15's. But, hey, for music they do a great kick drum and as long as you keep yourself from hearing the transparent way Ultras blend with your RF-7's... and go down, down, down... you can continue to be a happy camper!

Don't get me wrong, m00n, the RSW-15 is a solid subwoofer and there's a lot to be said for a BASH amp... in fact, SVS uses BASH amps on some of their lower priced offerings. I am not as impressed, however, with the RSW-12.

You might take an internet stroll to http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB84&Number=350378&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 and read up on the beta test SVS B4 before you get the low down on the rest of the SVS line. I need to get some rest and take a business trip. My mind is mush... and you deserve better! =HornEd

----------------

On 1/22/2003 10:44:18 PM mmiles wrote:

Near Ocean City. That's a drive. So when are you coming to the beach? It's a bit cool today... 23!

Regards,

Mike

----------------

Yeah, that is a bit of a drive, a good 3 hours or so. You got that right that its a bit cool out, but it does make for some awesome skiing conditions. The trip to the beach is going to have to wait until things warm up a bit. I guess that'll give me an excuse to go to Ocean City, since I have yet to get out there! Been to VA Beach a few times, but have yet to visit Ocean City 6.gif.

Well Mr. Moon might I suggest the set and forget concept?

They will be coming out with a P2B-Plus that is to out do 2 CS+ or PC+ equivilant at our about the same price ($1500 - $1600). Based on email contact with Tom (it's cool to get to one of the top dogs) they are touch behind their website news center date of March-April.

However I'd bet a CS-Ultra would be slammin! They had a "B" stock for $849, go to chucklevins.com and buy the Crown K1 for $995 and there you go instant rectum rattling and smooth bass for music (maybe out done Velo HG-18).

They (SVS) are indeed the shiznek.

Regards,

Mike

----------------

On 1/24/2003 1:18:49 AM Chaz wrote:

Moon, if you go SVS, be prepared to clear your walls of any hanging objects!!
3.gif

----------------

See and that actually worries me. My two subs now just rock the building where they live. Again, my theater is in an old tin tracktor garage. We are talking one layer of sheetrock and then the tin... Nothing else. Which is why I started the remodel of the room to add more sound proofing to the exterier walls. If I had subs that allegidly are even deeper and louder it would almost be like chaising my tale.4.gif

Boom Boom (Out go the lights) was a song released in a live version in 1978 (if memory serves) by the Pat Travese Band.

This relates to no part of this conversation, other than the title of the post. I was just taken back to my teen years for a moment when I saw the title.

Nostalgia is everywhere!

An SVS is on my shopping list. Maybe the new model will free up a used ULTRA somewhere that I can jump on.

Would a Carver M1.5 bridged to mono work as the amp? These powerful blocks are around $400 used on ebay.

The one problem with HT is that the shopping list is too long:

My Current LIST:

SVS SUB

5th and 6th speaker (another pair of Heresys...or maybe Belles in front and move the corns to the sides...naw too expensive for now)

HDTV Tuner (DISH 921 w/PVR or later the DirecTV/TiVO)

SACD/DVD-A DVD Player -- want better video and the new audio formats

Upgraded TT & Cart (Linn or Music Hall w/Blue Point?)

Tube pre-amp for 2-channel with my Dynaco ST-70

Record Cleaning machine

Unified remote -- Pronto type (or can I use my iPaq?)

Now which to buy first?