Anyone skip Audyssey and just do REW and UMIK(or Soundcard and regular mic)?

alkemyst

Been reading up a lot on this subject and while Audyssey was 'the way' a decade or so ago, now with software we can do our own Audyssey and be more accurate and even far better in sampling multiple conditions.  I have XT32 and I have not been impressed with it, I did my own measurements and entered them and it sounded more balanced right off the bat.

This video really inspired me to give it a go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Voqr4b0Y

He talks about Accourate and it's a bit more advanced and can get far more accuracy, but it's a $500 application (I am not sure if the 14 day trial they offer allows full access to all aspects of the program).

I bought a UMIK-1 (the 2 model is really not needed for just room correction), I had a tripod and downloaded the REW software and the extras the above video recommended.   I am going to have to plan a weekend to do this and hopefully don't drive my neighbors/family mad with all the chirping it will need.

If anyone has any advice if Ratbuddyessy would make the above easier let me know.

Anyone gone down this road, care to comment?

^Å^

I used a UMIK-1 with REW to determine the bass room correction at the main listening position for my Heritage Jubilee system.  In my smallish room, there was way too much bass room gain.  Luckily, my processor has a built-in multichannel parametric EQ that is supported by REW.

2 hours ago, MMurg said:

I used a UMIK-1 with REW to determine the bass room correction at the main listening position for my Heritage Jubilee system.  In my smallish room, there was way too much bass room gain.  Luckily, my processor has a built-in multichannel parametric EQ that is supported by REW.

In REW you can turn that down.  It's not simple to work with it and many fail at it.