What could be the best Klipsch speaker for Latin music?

musica

I have a Rotel receiver which delivers 100 watts per channel and I am shopping for floorstanding speaker that better match it and the music I use to listen to. Latin/caribbean music has lots of trumpets, trombones, piano, vocals, and percussion. What would be the perfect companion of my Rotel? (I did not say the most expensive ....)

Thank you very much for your help.

Música, from Caracas Venezuela.

Musica, welcome to the Klipsch Forum ...

If your budget is tight, you might think about something in the used Heritage or Reference lines ... Both are favorites here.

The Heritage Series:

Heresy ($300-$400 used)

Cornwall ($700-$1000 used)

Chorus & Forte ($700 or so used)

Reference:

RF-5 (check Ebay or Audiogon for current prices and availability)

RF-7

None of these amps need all the power you have but will handle it well. Given your location, you may have a hard time auditioning them as well.

Good luck!

----------------

On 1/24/2003 2:20:02 PM musica wrote:

I have a Rotel receiver which delivers 100 watts per channel and I am shopping for floorstanding speaker that better match it and the music I use to listen to. Latin/caribbean music has lots of trumpets, trombones, piano, vocals, and percussion. What would be the perfect companion of my Rotel? (I did not say the most expensive ....)

Thank you very much for your help.

Música, from Caracas Venezuela.

----------------

You are right, I am planing to expend some 1500 US on them.

Good question. What Klpsch (horns) will not be overly harsh with a 100 watt SS receiver? I only have experience with the vintage Cornwalls.

With an SS 100 watt receiver I would not recommend something like the Klipsch Cornwall for listening to the kinds of agressive horns and flute in latin music. This is exactly what got me started in the pursuit of tube amplification. After I got set up with a good tube preamp, good triode power amp, and upgraded CD player and upgraded turntable there certainly was great improvement in the sound coming out of these vintage Cornwalls, and I now enjoy much improved sonics.

Still, if I decide to play latin music with much higher volume on this system, there still is some slight annoying harshness with trumpets and flute coming from the inherent spike around those frequencies in the mid-range horn used in these speakers.

Generally I would say you need to at least go to tubes, if not, I just am not sure about the other Klipsch choices, besides the vintage Cornwalls of which I have first hand experience.

Because I want to sometimes play this type of music loud, I have been motivated to build my own do-it-yourself speaker system utilizing Altec woofers and Altec horn. It remains to be heard, but I am hoping it will solve the problem.

I have no intention of giving up the Cornwalls and may even try an SET amp on them in the future since so many on this forum back up this approach. My Cornwalls are wonderful for listening to Jazz and Classical and Latin at somewhat more moderate volumes.

c7s

if you are inerested in floorstanding speakers the RF-7s from the reference series will do a great job of reproducing latin music. dynamism, clarity, slam. they retial for about $1,500 I think, for a few hundred less you could go with the RF-5s. If we knew the exact models of your compoenents (amplfier, cd player, etc.) we could be more helpful. saludos, tony

I second (or is it now third, fourth, fifth...) the Heritage recommendation. For less than $1500 you can easily find a set of Cornwalls that will do the job beautifully. However, I also agree with the suggestion to consider tube amplification. You want to hear horn instruments sound real, there is nothing better for that then horn speakers. Go with Heritage and tubes and you'll never regret it.

By the way, I have some Venezolano friends. I hope things are getting better over there.

Welcome to the best forum on the internet!

Hello Tony. My stereo consists of a 100 watts Rotel receiver, a Sony CD player and a pair of B&W CDM1NT. I am moving to a larger house and the stereo will be placed in a larger room (27 feet x 15 feet and a height of some 9 feet). One of the longest sides of the room is open to a garden. I am afraid that my CDM1NT are not powerful enough to fill that room and that is why I am shopping for a more powerful set of speakers.

Musica

A respectful request !

Please avoid introducing politics into the 2 channel Forum.

That said Given the room dimesnsions and budget you have there are a lot of possibilities available. Some Suggestions:

Heritage:

1.) Klipschorns but the budget will need to expand a bit given shipping, import tariffs, etc.

2.) Belle Klipsch or Lascalla (Same lady different clothes)

3.) Cornwalls

4.) Heresy

Legend :

KLF 30

KLF 20

Reference:

RF7

RF5

Other non Heritage/Legend/Reference:

Look for good deals on Forte and Chorus - reasonably priced and very hard to beat !

PS. Mi Esposa y mi trabajan a Vallarta en Fevrero ! Lo Siento por mi Espanol amigo!

AKA How do I say that my wife and I will be travelling to Vallarta. What is the future tense for trabajar ?

Thank you very much for your answer. I regret having made that comment in this forum.

If you want to say "We will travel to Puerto Vallarta" in Spanish you say: "Nosotros viajaremos a Puerto Vallarta".

The future of the verb to work (trabajar) is:

Yo trabajaré.

Tu trabajarás (to be use with friends).

Usted trabajará (polite).

El trabajará.

Nosotros trabajaremos.

Ustedes trabajarán.

Ellos trabajarán.

I do hope you have a great time in Puerto Vallarta next February.

Espero que Ustedes la pasen muy bien en Puerto Vallarta en Febrero.