KLIPSCHORN RESTORATION

Stildawg

I recently picked up a pair of Kilpschorns that are going to require restoration. I have done small restorations but nothing like this before. Is there a previous post or a resource I can use to tackle this project, I want to bring them back to life and any assistance would be appreciated. Also I did not see the finish code on the list does anyone have any idea what finish is for below: 

Type K-C-WR

Style C

SN 1B869

Finish WR

If there are resources out there that someone could point me to I would greatly appreciate it. Thx.

Please type some key words in the search tool on the forum or use the google (aka "Klipschorn restoration" LOL); LOTs out there, just saying.

Also, I think these guys do some great work and some really good step by step details on multiple "complete" restorations that should give you some ideas.

http://www.klipschupgrades.com/mkhorn.shtml

I should mention, despite the urge to "upgrade" the drivers, electronics, etc, many on this prefer the take them back to "stock" approach in order to fully appreciate Paul Klipsch's genius in the original design and signature sound.

You may want to post some pics of your speakers and start a restoration thread yourself so the experts can weigh in in real time.

• Like 1

We do not have the logbook covering 1964 when these shipped.  In late 1963 the driver complement was very consistent: K33J woofer, K55V mid, K77 tweeter, and W6 network.  Naturally as "curator", I lean to restoration to stock components.  Our 1954 and 1957 "pair" at the Museum's visitors center never cease to amaze.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:07 PM, Stildawg said:

I recently picked up a pair of Kilpschorns that are going to require restoration. I have done small restorations but nothing like this before. Is there a previous post or a resource I can use to tackle this project, I want to bring them back to life and any assistance would be appreciated. Also I did not see the finish code on the list does anyone have any idea what finish is for below: 

Type K-C-WR

Style C

SN 1B869

Finish WR

If there are resources out there that someone could point me to I would greatly appreciate it. Thx.

the finish WR is walnut raw