paralleling Heresy for 4 ohms with 8417 monoblocks

halltyler

I'm getting in another pair of heresies (thanks dean) and plan on running them both on the left channel in parallel and another pair of heresies on the right also in parallel. I'm going to drive the array 4 ohm array with quicksilver 60W monoblocks (these have 8417 tubes). Any one out there have any advice/experience with doing this sort of thing? Any thoughts - warnings - recommendations? I'm an electrical engineer, but don't work in audio and am just getting started with tube amps and good speakers....and there is a lot of great and knowledgeable people on this forum (i'm new to it too). Ii'm building my own pre-amp and phono stages.

Hi Tyler, I was just getting ready to shoot you an email. The Heresies are going out tomorrow on my lunch break. Sorry you had to wait so long.

You are bound to get some groans and moans from some here for trying to do this. However, it seems to me that as long as you wire them in SERIES -- to keep the impedence around 6 to 8 ohms nominal -- you should be fine.

Here, witness one of my finest moments on the forum.9.gif

Cut and past the following into your URL bar, it'll load faster. For some reason, if you just click on it, it times out.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=25925&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={BFC3565F-ACF8-44ED-9CBB-88A718973CCE}

At least check the DC resistance of the Heresies. Both sets of mine run 8 ohms DCR min., but the woofers varied through the years. My '77 and '81 models run from 10 ohms in the bass to 110 ohms in the midrange. I have a crossover mod I've designed (with lots of help) that will take out the brightness and flatten the impedance curve. Your tube amps should like that, too. If your woofers have a DCR of at least 6 ohms, 2 in parallel will be fine.

I will post a schematic when I'm satisfied with it.

I'd stack the Heresies, with the top one upside down so the tweeters are together. You might want to put a small towel between them to minimize scratching, and attach them in some way so the top one doesn't walk off. Then I'd wire them in parallel - Heresies shouldn't provide too unreasonable a load in this configuration - and attach them to the four ohm taps on your amps.

Two notes:

1.) It's important that the top Heresy in each stack be inverted. (This works even better with LaScalas!)

2.) Call Quicksilver in Reno if you have any doubts about the amps being able to handle the load. They seem to be nice folks who know what they're doing out there and they should be able to tell you if there will be any problems.

9.gif