refurbished denon 1803 or klipsch SC1?

Hoju

hello! i am currently in the process of upgrading my onkyo HT-S650. Right now i have replaced the mains with the SB3. the current receiver i have is basically the TX-SR500. I was planning to buy the SC1 at the wiz for $250, but that denon at ecost is only $300 including shipping! what do i do??

Not familiar with your current receiver, and I'm guessing you have NO center now? The 1803 is a nice piece -- you can also look at the 1403 (1402?).

If your receiver really needs an upgrade at the expense of buying a center speaker, you can run a new receiver in phantom mode which creates a virtual center channel using the mains. Of course, the "center" will be perfectly matched to the mains (which is great) but will limit your viewing/listening axis to pretty much directly in the middle (which may not be great). But, that might be the way to go until you buy a center speaker.

DD

i currently have the HTIB system made by onkyo (HT-S650). I do have a center, but its an onkyo center. it doesnt really sound well with my SB3 mains that i upgraded to recently. My reciever sounds pretty good right now since its high current. But i think i should finish upgrading to all synergys first before getting a new receiver. What do you think?

I'm doing about the same thing. I started with a Kenwood HTIB. Upgraded the center to Klipsch. Then the fronts to Klipsch. I think I'm fine with the Kenwood surrounds for now since I see (hear) them as less critical than the other parts. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my sub or the receiver next (or maybe neither and get a Tivo). If you have a receiver that is doing a pretty good job, I'd say work on your speakers first.