THX-504-L Enclosure Volume

Barrie

I have three THX-504-L speakers that I plan to use as LCR in a home theatre setup.  I'll be building a media wall/baffle wall at the end of my room into which the speakers will be mounted.  I am assuming that a sealed enclosure behind each speaker will give me the best results but I'm unclear what volume the enclosure should be.

I did email Klipsch support but they just said:

We provide specifications for speakers, but anything having to do with installing architectural speakers, we would suggest reaching out to a professional installer.

I can't afford to use a professional installer so can anyone here provide any information please?  I'm just after the optimal volume for the enclosure.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

as an example   , here are dimensions of a klipsch external cabinet with four 5.25 inch woofers and a HF driver and identical  specs ,

this should give you an idea  for  the THX-504-L  enclosure's  ideal depth and height   , you can figure out the exact width  by adding 3/4 inch MDF  all around  .

HEIGHT INCHES (MM) 6.87" (17.4 cm)
WIDTH INCHES (MM) 32.06" (81.4 cm)
DEPTH INCHES (MM) 15.08" (38.3 cm)

On 10/31/2023 at 2:17 AM, OO1 said:

as an example   , here are dimensions of a klipsch external cabinet with four 5.25 inch woofers and a HF driver and identical  specs ,

this should give you an idea  for  the THX-504-L  enclosure's  ideal depth and height   , you can figure out the exact width  by adding 3/4 inch MDF  all around  .

Thanks.  So that's the RP-504C II I guess.

Assuming a wall thickness of 3/4 inch (18mm) that would make the internal volume around 1.29 cubic feet.  Does that sound reasonable?

I've seen posts elsewhere suggesting 1.0-1.2 cubic feet.

35 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Assuming a wall thickness of 3/4 inch (18mm) that would make the internal volume around 1.29 cubic feet.  

the internal volume enclosure must remain within klipsch specs , I would not go lower to 1 or 1.2 cubic feet as the  RP -504-C II  still requires a port  at the rear of the cabinet  .

10 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the internal volume enclosure must remain within klipsch specs , I would not go lower to 1 or 1.2 cubic feet as the  RP -504-C II  still requires a port  at the rear of the cabinet.

Okay, so aim for around 1.29 cubic feet.  Does that make sense?  My boxes will be sealed.

if the speakers already have enclosures, why are you wanting to swap them?

They don't have enclosures. See my original post:

I have three THX-504-L speakers that I plan to use as LCR in a home theatre setup.  I'll be building a media wall/baffle wall at the end of my room into which the speakers will be mounted.  I am assuming that a sealed enclosure behind each speaker will give me the best results but I'm unclear what volume the enclosure should be.

28 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

if the speakers already have enclosures, why are you wanting to swap them? 

They don't have enclosures. See my original post:

On 10/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, Barrie said:

I have three THX-504-L speakers that I plan to use as LCR in a home theatre setup.  I'll be building a media wall/baffle wall at the end of my room into which the speakers will be mounted.  I am assuming that a sealed enclosure behind each speaker will give me the best results but I'm unclear what volume the enclosure should be.

2 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

That's right. I forget the select line doesn't but the ultra line does. Is there any way to utilize the 8000-L instead? Could the 504's be returned?

I bought them (lightly) used so no, and I'm happy enough to DIY some sealed  boxes.  I just needed some advice on optimal volume.

Well if they are anything like the rest of the klipsch in-walls from klipsch, they were designed for an open baffle. Trey who no longer works there has told me numerous times that some of the RP series in walls and in ceilings were designed for open baffle and would require something like a 3.0 cuft internal enclosure to remain the same sounding. anything smaller would severely harm the extension of them. Like i said, that was for the non thx speakers, but i can't imagine that being any different. 

Are you just wanting to enclose them to try and contain some sound?  

7 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Are you just wanting to enclose them to try and contain some sound?  

I'm just after the best way to install them as there is no guidance on that from Klipsch that I can find.  They just suggested "reaching out to a professional installer" but I'm not in that market.

• Like 1

I would just install them as intended. They should be like all other in walls from klipsch. I am guessing they either have some sort of ring that installs in the wall first? if not then the speaker should have it's own tabs. You would need to cut holes in the drywall, then those tabs hold them to the drywall. the placement and the center is the hard part. the holes and install is the easy part. I could explain easier over the phone and even send a few pics of my in wall installs if you'd like. Feel free to send me a message and i could give you my phone number. 

25 minutes ago, Barrie said:

I'm just after the best way to install them as there is no guidance on that from Klipsch that I can find. 

make sure to use the Formula   V = l x w x h to calculate the internal volume of the enclosure based on the dimensions of the RP-504C II  which is the closest to the  THX-504-L

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Barrie said:

I'm just after the best way to install them as there is no guidance on that from Klipsch that I can find.

By best way I mean open baffle or sealed box really.  I know how to physically install them with either option.

@001 says sealed box, @Scrappydue says open baffle and Klipsch themselves say ask a professional installer. 😭

even the spec sheet says infinite baffle. I mean that is straight from Klipsch. I may not be a "professional installer" but I do sell Klipsch speakers, including a lot of architectural stuff and I have a ton of them in my house. they are all installed as open baffle and I have zero issues with them being that way. 

• Thanks 1