K-138 Tweeters

wokbelly1

I bought some Klipsch Icon VF36 speakers used only to find out the one of the K-138 tweeters are toast i also found out they are no longer manufactured thanks Klipsch. They are used in several models from what i have seen and i have noticed that you can buy the diaphragms off Ebay. But while taking mine apart it looks to be a challenge i cant seem to get the tweeter separated completely anybody had this problem? or repair ? please send me in the right direction on these or show me the complete breakdown of these any help would be nice Thanks Roger

• Like 1

Did that there no help. They must only take care of the heritage line I've gotten 30yr old drivers before for heritage line but not the Chinese best buy line they sent me here i can buy the diaphram  on ebay but having ***** of a time taking the tweeter apart  to put it in thats wy i hope someone here has don this 

16 hours ago, billybob said:

Lacking information so far, can you inform us of the difficulty of replacing diaphragm you are trying...pics may help.

Otherwise, a used replacement tweeter from eBay a consideration. Thanks @wokbelly1

Give me a couple days i have to take it( the tweeter) back out of the speaker .After i pulled ou tand  separated the magnet /driver at its glued on to the teeter housing it was bear to separate the two pieces the fan like thing is the driver/magnet these are pictures i pulled from ebay but mine are exactly the same the dome shaped pieces with tiny wires  are wedged inside the traxis horn i cant even get the diaphram terminal separated to be able solder the wires to the it ill get you more pics of mine this weekend

tweeter k-138.jpg

Tweeter K-138 in speakeer.jpg

Klipsch K-138 Diaphram rplacement.jpg

On 11/3/2023 at 9:11 AM, billybob said:

Lacking information so far, can you inform us of the difficulty of replacing diaphragm you are trying...pics may help.

Otherwise, a used replacement tweeter from eBay a consideration. Thanks @wokbelly1This is my tweeter that i separated but still can not get out the diaphragm with the terminals i am probably going to just destroy the  diaphragm and see what i got left cause there is no room to get this thing out. 

Give me a couple days i have to take it( the tweeter) back out of the speaker .After i pulled ou tand  separated the magnet /driver at its glued on to the teeter housing it was bear to separate the two pieces the fan like thing is the driver/magnet these are pictures i pulled from ebay but mine are exactly the same the dome shaped pieces with tiny wires  are wedged inside the traxis horn i cant even get the diaphram terminal separated to be able solder the wires to the it ill get you more pics of mine this weekend

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000002.jpg

image000004.jpg

image000003.jpg

• Like 1

Otherwise, a used replacement tweeter from eBay a consideration. Thanks @wokbelly1This is my tweeter that i separated but still can not get out the diaphragm with the terminals i am probably going to just destroy the  diaphragm and see what i got left cause there is no room to get this thing out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wokbelly1 said:

More pics may not be necessary. So far, looking like a non standard diaphragm swap.

Good job getting this far. Let other like @OO1 help you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well i finally figured out how to remove the tweeter since i figured it was toast i decided id have a tweeter for dinner so put  a pan on the stove got it to boiling then backed off a bit and tossed the tweeter in for about 20 minutes the heat expanded it enough for me to pry it apart with out any damage to the terminal mount . i then found out that the tweeter was infract probably not bad in the first place  i hooked a  different speaker to the tweeter wires that i knew was good and nothing so its not getting contact from the crossover darn it so either the wires are bad or one etc or i got crossover problem or soldier joint since the wires don't plug in on the board  anybody fixed this before? Thanks

18 minutes ago, wokbelly1 said:

Well i finally figured out how to remove the tweeter since i figured it was toast i decided id have a tweeter for dinner so put  a pan on the stove got it to boiling then backed off a bit and tossed the tweeter in for about 20 minutes the heat expanded it enough for me to pry it apart with out any damage to the terminal mount . i then found out that the tweeter was infract probably not bad in the first place  i hooked a  different speaker to the tweeter wires that i knew was good and nothing so its not getting contact from the crossover darn it so either the wires are bad or one etc or i got crossover problem or soldier joint since the wires don't plug in on the board  anybody fixed this before? Thanks

Interesting...you will need magnifying glass to find cracks at times. Some just resolder a wire joint in question. Another may  gently flex the joint, testing a connection while listening or using a meter. Did you get a. Would use a known to be good tweeter for the cross over test while checking for faults.

I did a continuity check of  the wires from the terminals to the crossover soldier joints it checks out fine i guess ill try resoldiering the soldier joints at the wires but i wouldn't think that will help i don't see a fuse on the crossover so I'm really confused as what to do here 

On 12/16/2023 at 11:43 AM, billybob said:

Interesting...you will need magnifying glass to find cracks at times. Some just resolder a wire joint in question. Another may  gently flex the joint, testing a connection while listening or using a meter. Did you get a. Would use a known to be good tweeter for the cross over test while checking for faults.

• 1 month later...

Fixed the problem i had to replace the crossover network kind of a pain had to pull all the speakers out  to fish all the wires up to them and then put terminal clips back on the speakers at least Klipsch still makes them and were in stock they work fine now.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wokbelly1 said:

Fixed the problem i had to replace the crossover network kind of a pain had to pull all the speakers out  to fish all the wires up to them and then put terminal clips back on the speakers at least Klipsch still makes them and were in stock they work fine now.

Thanks for letting me know.

Good job!