“Special La Scala’s” @ Subfest 2024

6 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Interesting about the mid and high frequency being blacked out because it gives the perception they are just working on the upper frequency rather than the bass and ironically the upper frequency is what is often actually praised while the lower bass gets criticized. I would rather hope they would work on the bass instead. It's amazing how huge Heritage speakers are with all their cabinet space, yet don't go relatively deep in bass. If subs can be added, then why with all that speaker volume can't bass just be integrated into the speakers themselves? Even my Klipsch The Three has more audible bass than a couple of these Heritage speakers and I can easily hold it in my arm it's that small. 

Every Hertiage speaker model except the Heresy (which has about the same) and the La Scala has deeper bass extension than the Three.  What you are perceiving as "more" bass is likely the orders of magnitude more bass distortion that the Three will produce over any Heritage speaker at the same volume.  The reason that the La Scala cannot go very deep is because it has a folded horn bass section, and the cutoff frequency of a horn is related to the size of the horn and its flare rate.  The La Scala is a compromise between the ultra-low bass distortion of horn-loaded bass and the size of the cabinet.  If Klipsch were to design a new bass horn for this speaker, say using the same horn-loaded vented system used in the Jubilee and the upcoming Klipsch horn subs, then it really wouldn't be the La Scala anymore but a new model.

Also, while the MF and HF are highly regarded, there are improvement that can be made.  Roy will reveal what those are during the class during the PWK Birthday Bash.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MMurg said:

Every Hertiage speaker model except the Heresy (which has about the same) and the La Scala has deeper bass extension than the Three.  What you are perceiving as "more" bass is likely the orders of magnitude more bass distortion that the Three will produce over any Heritage speaker at the same volume.  The reason that the La Scala cannot go very deep is because it has a folded horn bass section, and the cutoff frequency of horn is related to the size of the horn and its flare rate.  The La Scala is a compromise between the ultra-low bass distortion of horn-loaded bass and the size of the cabinet.  If Klipsch were to design a new bass horn for this speaker, say using the same horn-loaded vented system used in the Jubilee and the upcoming Klipsch horn subs, then it really wouldn't be the La Scala anymore but a new model.

Also, while the MF and HF are highly regarded, there are improvement that can be made.  Roy will reveal what those are during the class during the PWK Birthday Bash.

Appreciate your response. I was sure there must to be a constructive reason. Thank you, Daniel