SB 3 - subwoofer keeps disconnecting and making strange sound

Hi guys, I've got a Klipsch HD Theater SB 3 with a subwoofer that I bought new about 10 years ago. The sub kept making more and more strange noises more and more without me thinking about it. During a lengthy home renovation I put the system away in storage, and when I connected it up again I realized how annoying these sounds were, and tried to figure it out.

From what I can tell the sounds come when I turn on the sub, or more precisely when the sub connects to the soundbar wirelessly. (See the led turn from red to blue in the video below), and I've also figured out that the reason for why the sounds come and go during the day is because the wireless signal falls out from time to time. (I've been watching the led light on the back while the sounds come).

I've tried searching if anyone else have had this problem, but have not found anything. Surprisingly, because I'm guessing this is a software or wireless protocol issue that many other users have encountered. But since this is an older system, perhaps you all have figured it out years ago - and in that case, I'd love to be pointed in the right connection. 

I'm sure there is modern soundbar systems that work better than this, but I like this setup and the sound it gives - and don't like the idea of throwing away something that should be able to fix. :)

All the best
Kristian

41 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome @onezero

Do a search on here or Google.

for your sb3. If you want to.

Thanks!

thank you @billybob - I have searched both here and on google, but I have not found anyone with the same problem… perhaps because the product is old not that many is still using it? 

But hopefully someone in here can point me in the right direction. ☺️

• Like 1

Does it only happen when the sub turns on and upon pairing?  I know that a lot of Klipsch wireless devices tend to have audible effects when powering and connecting but can be muted using some method or another.  

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 6:01 PM, The History Kid said:

Does it only happen when the sub turns on and upon pairing?  I know that a lot of Klipsch wireless devices tend to have audible effects when powering and connecting but can be muted using some method or another.  

Yes, it only happens when it connects/pairs to the soundbar it seems. And the sound randomly shows up (it can be one time per day, or every 10 minutes) - is most likely that it gets disconnected and reconnected. Do you have any idea what frequency klipsch uses for it's wireless connections?

On 1/23/2024 at 9:37 PM, Mikekid said:

The short audio clip almost sounds like a blown speaker. Does it sound fine once it connects and plays a bit? Intermittent signal like you said probably though..and welcome!

Hi Mike, yes that was my first thought when it happened too... but after it has been connected (2-5sec) it sounds perfectly fine - and can work for a day without any problems, or it can keep recurring every 10 minutes for a long time... perhaps other devices in my home is disturbing the connection protocol that klipsch uses? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, onezero said:

Yes, it only happens when it connects/pairs to the soundbar it seems. And the sound randomly shows up (it can be one time per day, or every 10 minutes) - is most likely that it gets disconnected and reconnected. Do you have any idea what frequency klipsch uses for it's wireless connections?

I don't, unfortunately.  But there should be a way to mute that - I wish I could say for sure, but if that's the issue it comes down to two things:

1. Disruption from signals around it.

2. A problem with hardware.

Have you tried calling Klipsch or messaging them?

very curious on this ... hopefully some one shows up who knows a fix!   And by the way Klipsch:  I've been a member in this forum practically since it's start. There were only about 50 of us then I think. I am no longer a 'heritage' member? Just doesn't seem right somehow! 🙃 All the best~ Mike   image.thumb.jpeg.0c94d5b3ed896b1d1583ef1a3115dc85.jpeg

• Thanks 1