Atmos?

bobdog

I am considering working towards being able to play Atmos in my media room. More interested in multichannel music than movies.  I posted in the pro forum but I think maybe this is the place. I am not willing to rip out my ceiling but I will be able to run one pair of overhead speakers to the direct sides of the listening chairs.  Is it worth the effort if you can only use two atmos speakers??

Generally How much signal is sent to the overhead speakers. is it less the same or more than the side and rears?  Full range?

Im not looking to go the AVR or even PRE/PRO route or put cheap in ceiling speakers in so the cost will not be insignificant. Is it really all that different from good 7.1 or should I just buy more LPs

Probably do it since Im itching to do something stereo related for the first time in ten or more years. 

I have a 5.2.2 setup, previously had a 7.2 setup.  I definitely prefer Atmos even with 2 overhead speakers.

What do you mean you’re not looking to go the AVR or pre/pro route?  What’s going to be processing the sound?

Every Pre pro I have tried has sounded worse in my system than not going that route.  Stereo and multichannel music is my priority and the do everything and add a kitchen sink boxes always hurt that.   I am researching computer based software possibilities or something like the Arvus decoders to do Atmos. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, bobdog said:

Every Pre pro I have tried has sounded worse in my system than not going that route.  Stereo and multichannel music is my priority and the do everything and add a kitchen sink boxes always hurt that.   I am researching computer based software possibilities or something like the Arvus decoders to do Atmos. 

That Avrus scenario is going to add significant latency to your setup with all the protocol switching.  It’s fine for a set and forget movie/music, but not good for interactive, whether it’s learning a riff from your fav band, catching that missed moment on YouTube, or for grandkids that want big screen Xbox with low latency interaction.  The time between hitting play/paise/rewind 15s/trigger and what you will see on screen and hear will be annoying if not unusable.