CD Audio only uses FRONT two speakers?

Durandal

Hello All,

I just received my Klipsch Promedia 4.1 system. The problem I am having is that when I play something through the Windows CD Player, I only get sound out of the front two speakers. When I play MP3's it works fine for all four (although the rear are a little louder than the front).

I have a Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzilla soundcard with the latest drivers (even though tbeach.com hasn't updated the drivers in a long time).

Well, I'll leave it at that for now, get back to me with the exact specifics you need and I'll get those to you ASAP. Thanks in advance.

-Derek

Well, it was the same way with my older V2-400's...they would play out of the front, but not out of both. If I use a Y adapter it will work just fine, but it seems to defeat the purpose of having four speakers if you can only listen to music in 2 speaker mode. It can't get nearly as loud.

And to answer your question, yes, if I plug the purple plug into the first audio out, then they work just fine. It just seems that when both plugs are in all four speakers don't work together.

Seems like my brother had the same problem that you are having. He made some changes in the the Multimedia settings in the Control Panel and got them all working. Check it out, there are some different speaker selections that you can make there.

Steve

------------------

Bringing Wood Back to life!

SF-2 mains

SC-1 center

SS-1 rears

KSW-12

Sony DE845

Sony S560D

Sony CE345

JVC HR-A61U VCR

Echostar 4922 sat rec.

Promedia 4.1's

Starband satcom

Digital PC link to reciever/MP3's

Fridge full of Beer

Ok, I tried changing it to CD Player, but no luck...however, I did change it to Auxilary and all four speakers were working!

Now the only problem is that they are severely distorted when I set the EQ to Aux. Any idea what's causing the distortion?

Thanks again,

-Derek

Are you using an audio cable from the cdrom to the sound card? I had the same problem, it went away at some point. I don't know exactly what I did to fix it, but it may have been changing to digital audio and doing away with the audio cable. Its in the cd drive properties in win2k, I dont know about 98 or me but it should be in the same place.

Btw I have a sb live.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

Yes, I am using an audio cable from the CD-ROM to the soundcard. Should I pick up a digital one?

I forgot if my Turtle Beach Montego II Quazdilla can accept a digital cable or not, but I'll go looking. Anyhow, where's the best spot to look for a new audio cable...Radio Shack?

Thanks

I don't think you can find the cable from radio shack. of course i never looked for that in there. try pc club or if you dont have one near by check out fry's. still not around? damn i can't help. try any small local computer shops. they should have it.

oh and you can also try compusa.

I have soundblaster live mp3+ 5.1 and I have the same problem. mp3 = 4.1 but cd = 2.1 sound.

I think if you use a digital internal cable from the Drive to the soundcard.. it will give you 4-channel.. does for me. Else.. try selecting CDaudio for your record in Creative Surround Mixer:

csm2.jpg

This is also what you do if you want 4-channel thru the line in - except you select line in. Again.. I don't need to do this with a digital cord.

~There may be a similar thing with other sound cards.

//more selections are available in white circle than red one

Actually what I meant was using digital cd audio over the pci bus, that is what the setting I mentioned does. You do need a separate audio cable at all if you do this. Although I'm not sure which versions of windows have this feature - w2k has it for sure. It should be somewhere in the cdrom drive properties in device manager, under 'settings' probably. Here is the one from win2k.

cdprops.jpg

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.