Finished Center - Heresy Mod

hwatkins

As promised - the center channel is finished and photographed.

This first post is for the center on top of the TV. The next post will have details with another picture, followed by a couple of more picture posts (I haven't figured out how to post multiple pictures on one post).

HEnry

post-8682-13819246447588_thumb.jpg

This is a naked picture of the speaker.

I had intended a more finished look when I started. My problem occured when I had my temporary box finished for testing I was so enamored with the sound that I chose to not fiddle any further - including building a higher finish box. Since, as you can see from the first photo, most of this box is hidden by the placement.

As it was, I glued and sealed with the uptmost attention to detail and I am glad to report that reducing the leakage had a very good effect. I had reported previously that I was not satisfied with the low freq roll to the sub - while it can stand some thought to improvement, the sealing of the box made a giant step forward. The transition to the sub is much better than my initial test.

Specifications:

K77 tweeter, K55 Squawker w/700 lens, Type 'E' crossover and two wired in parallel Fostex 168Sigma. The exterior of the box is 33.5 x 14 x 9 inches. No stuffing, no lining and no porting. The system is powered by a Denon 3802 with Heresy main, Heresy side, Infinity rear (Used for rear fill) and SVS 20-39pci. Reciever manages low freqs below 80hz to the sub.

Pros -

1. Near Precise Timbre match for everything above 700hz (I have the Fostex roll over to squawker).

2. Unexpected very good transition from Fostex to the Squawker - difficult (if possible) for the ear to tell the difference between center and Heresy,

3. Fits in my space - asthetically very pleasing to me and significant others.

4. Outstanding clarity as a center (matrixed in multichannel stereo) for music.

5. Outstanding broad dispersion for clarity in HT (being in the sweet spot helps, but good sound from many angles while viewing). This was better than I got with a single Heresy experiment (and is probably more to do with my room than my engineering capabilities).

Cons -

1. I have a drop in SPL (more than my prefered -3db from the tuning point) that starts just below the transition to the sub. While the final version is much better than the test, I would prefer the speaker go to around 50hz before the -3db (this would closely match the Heresy). I am probably constrained by my dedication to the size of the box and have to live with the compromise - there is only so much you can expect from 6.5 inch woofers.

2. MDF - just too darn dusty to work with in the winter inside. Also, I am not terribly pleased with the difficulty of finishing. Use good no void plywood - at $25 - $35 extra a sheet you will save a couple of hundred 'hassle' dollars (your time for cleanup and finish).

3. Heavy - can't be helped and will always be there.

Overall - I am tickled pink about the looks and sound. The Fostex full range decision was more expensive, but proved that the higher efficiency made quite a difference. Heathen to the full range folks - you bet, but this is one that must be heard to believe. Compromised - of course, but an extraordinary difference and it was made understanding the compromises and focusing to minimize the same.

The experience was fulfilling. I am going to build more speakers - I'll also focus on better finish next time around.

Hmmm....How about cornwall like stuff for downstairs and bring those Heresy upstairs for rear channels?? (I hate it when this stuff starts....)

post-8682-13819246447908_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/5/2003 10:04:49 AM hwatkins wrote:

Cons -

1. I have a drop in SPL (more than my prefered -3db from the tuning point) that starts just below the transition to the sub. While the final version is much better than the test, I would prefer the speaker go to around 50hz before the -3db (this would closely match the Heresy). I am probably constrained by my dedication to the size of the box and have to live with the compromise - there is only so much you can expect from 6.5 inch woofers.

----------------

A congratulations on the speaker turning out so well.

As far as I can tell with my spl meter and a test tone cd my 1981 heresies are fine to about 65Hz but by 60Hz they are beginning to roll off.

I'm not sure if this is the -3dB point or not but I can tell they are not as solid under 60Hz.

My little JBL L46 however go much closer to 45Hz, they just don't have the midrange and tweet that the klipsh do.

Peace, Josh