RB5 II with crackling noise

hz536n

I think my right side RB5 has developed a problem. Most times it is is fine but certain passages always have a distrorted crackling sound at even low volumes. Example, the helicopter on the Pink Floyd Wall selection on the Echos CD. Regardless the issue is always right bank and I think it is the woofer.

On my other system, Klipsch Forte and Yamaha RX-V1200, I do not have this problem.

The RB5's are biwired, set to "small" and powered by a Yamaha RX-V800.

In a search of the forum someone found a problem with the internal leads on the RB5 woofer contacting. Any other ideas? (I do not have warranty)How do I safely get access to the inside of the RB5 to take a look?

Thanks

I doubt that the problem is with the speaker. The CD player is the more likely culprit. The behaviour you describe is referred to as jitter and is a form of mistracking. Do a search on Google and here in the forum.

How old is your CDP? Make/Model?

Are the CD's this occurs on "burned " copies ?

Thanks, I had not thought of jitter as a possible cause. Reading up on the Google search now...

I have yet to come to the conclusion that the jitter effect is always audible at the right channel speaker though. "How do it know?"

The CD's are played through a Toshiba SD-3800 DVD Player, via coax cable, new in July, 2002. The CD's are not copies. Two other CD's with tracks with the same issue are Telarc. I do not remember the others right now. (The distortion has not ever shown up on the other system, where the CD Player is an older 5 disc Sony C8ESD with optical cable.) Many CD's and so far the DVD's play OK.

I follow this with interest.

I've had the clacking problem too. It comes on with infrasonics. The first area of investigation is a woofer being driven to its limits. Yet I have not been able to find that at least in one case.

I really wonder if the electronics are revolting and clipping.

Gil

Hello,

I was the one who had the problem with the tinsel leads touching on the woofers, and causing the amp(receiver) to short out and crackle. Though it was not RB-5's, it was my RF-5's, but the same thing could happen with the RB-5's too. Have you done the speaker swap(left to right and vice versa) yet? What were the results? It would be interesting to see if your problem stayed with the speaker, or the right side of the amp. Let us know.

OK, the plot thickens... First off thanks for the replies thus far.

Swapped right for left and the sound stayed at the right channel. In the process of checking this I put my ear close to the now left speaker's woofer and it was still distorting. Now I'm really wondering, so I reswap the speakers and closely listen to the normal left speaker woofer and I can clearly hear the same crackling sound as from the right speaker. Prior to this I had not "heard" the distortion from the left speaker, I believe it was there but I was paying more attention to the right channel. Running a trial in mono may have exposed both left and right issues.

Keep in mind I'm using a retail Pink Floyd Echoes CD, disc 1 track #4, "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)". This noise is audibly present at various points throughout the track, especially, in the right channel, the helicopter bits. No audible issue still with my other system. From what I've been reading and what I've confirmed, it appears to be a jitter issue. I have not attempted to run the offending Telarc disc track's through this swapping action.

Thinking about burning a CD copy of the offending Pink Floyd disc and see if the jitter will be affected. Any other thoughts on where to go from here?