confused about system?

nowisn

I'm looking at buying a HT system and i was thinking of going with the onkyo tx-sr700 and a klipsch speakers in the front will be rf5's and a center rc7 and use my bose 201 for the rear and a sub later on in a couple of months.

the room is 12 by 25 feet,12 feet high and hardwwod floors with lath and plaster walls but this is a rental right now so should i buy up to the next level and sacrifice the room and do these klipsch speakers require the breathing room an can they be shoved close to a corner.

other suggestions for the a/v reciever was the rs7200 marantzor I'm open to other suggestions, thanks.15.gif

I'm using the Marantz 8200 marantz right now and I love it. I don't see many people on these boards using them, but I feel the Marantz is very musical for a A/V reciever and I have been greatly impressed by it.

I'm sure you'll get more opinions/comments from this crowd (especially about the Bose;) )

-mkl

I'm sure that there are several receivers out there that will fit the bill. A lot of people like the denon 2802 - 3802 with their systems. I like my marantz sr-4200 a lot, I do wish that it had on-screen menu, something that I think all receivers should have. I'm sure the best bang for the buck has got to be the outlaw audio model 1050 for $ 498 u.s. Try www.outlawaudio.com and read specs, and testimonials. Also, there are several reviews on that receiver on www.audioreview.com and other spots on the net. They only sell via the internet, so a listen in a showroom is out of the question. There are two members that I know of on this board that have that receiver in their signatures.

Marantz receivers are a great match with Klipsch speakers.Marantz receivers are quite smooth sounding,this matches damn well with the unforgiving Klipsch.

Also I experienced great things with upscale Onkyo/Integra(989/DTR9.1),Yamaha's older DSPA1 and the new Pioneer 47 and 49.Denon works quite well,as you can find many Denon owners here(me being one of them 3801,and former 5800 owner...sold for Sunfire pre/pro..BTW a good deal better)

Just stay away from Sony receivers,I dont care what some BS reviewers say,SOny receivers are nothing special.And most(ALL) besides the ES series are edgy and have lousy amps.And I mean LOUSY TRASH CAN style amps.As soon as it drops below 8 Ohms they start to spit transistors and caps. LOL

yeah i would like to go with marantz but there is a defect in there amps for this year that a lot of other dealers have told me about and it is a hissing sound the amp makes so that concerns me a little and marantz won't say itts a defect

so this is why onkyo being my second choice and denon which is way over priced.

has anyone heard the boston acoustics and compared them against klipsch?

I haven't heard of any problems with hissing from a marantz product. Mine certainly does not ! I guess you could go to your local hi-fi dealer and have a listen for yourself. I take a salesman's advice like a grain of salt. Most of them do not comprehend the technical aspect of a product, and often, I know more about a product than they do. Just a little advice.

the new denon avr3803 is pretty sweet... I like it alot.

It has auto up conversion on all video sources... (your vcr signal would be upconverted to component video in the reciever etc) It has 2 zones... and it has 9 channels of amplification... Loaded with all the surround formats I can think of.

That RC7 is a serious beast of a speaker... very warm... also very BIG... make sure you have a spot for it.

Because of the lack of dispersion common with horn speakers and the fact that these speakers are ported in the rear: I would say that shoving the RF5's into a corner is a bad idea... they probably should be a couple of feet from the back (and side) wall... (i do understand that you have only 12 feet to work with) and they should be toed in to get the best soundstage possible.

----------------

On 2/8/2003 1:10:21 AM nowisn wrote:

yeah i would like to go with marantz but there is a defect in there amps for this year that a lot of other dealers have told me about and it is a hissing sound the amp makes so that concerns me a little and marantz won't say itts a defect

----------------

well i had first expected hissing when i hooked up my SR-4200... but as it turns out its completely silent.

brilliant reciever, very very nice.

plus i love the look of them.

Horn speakers have poor dispersion ?! I beg to differ - the lens focuses the sound and the dispersion is controlled by the type of horn and the designed dispersion angles. For instance, 60 degrees vertical, 90 degrees horizontal. Like PWK said, you can slosh a piston ( diaphragm ) up and down in a lake all day, but it won't do any work, just make ripples. Now take that same diaphragm and put a cylinder around it, and now you can do some work ( pump water ). A nice benefit of horns is that the midrange and high frequencies are less likely to interact with other boundaries in the room, causing a smearing due to early reflections that are out of phase and close in spl to the original signal.

hey guys thanks for your help and suggestions and wow you guys are fast to respond.

So I splurged and bought the denon 3803 and the two front towers which are the RF-5's to start and next month I'll grab the sub and wait for the new stuff.

got one question though, what would be the best way to set them on the hardwood floor cause they sound a little bright with little bass,should i use the feet or the spikes?

thanks again

Btw, I would NOT attempt to use the spikes on hardwood ! This will cause damage and scratches on the floor. Just leave the feet on the speaker. They may sound bright initially to most people, but after hearing a live performance, like a symphony, you will realize that most other speakers you have listened to sound muffled in comparison to real life. Also, I would sooner get the matching center first, and then a sub, because the towers will have decent bass. Also, you mentioned they have little bass. First make sure that you do not have the polarity on one of the speakers reversed. You would have little or almost no bass when that is the case. You can also check that the mains are set to large in the receiver. Another possibility is location in relation to the rear/side wall ( rear ported ). Or it just may be the fact that most speakers you have heard have such exaggerated bass, that you feel that the rf5's are lacking. Try a test cd that is heavy in the bass dept, you will find that they are not lacking.

Actually banden was right about not placing the speakers in a corner... although i wouldn't call it a "lack of dispersion". Side walls will create pretty pronounced accoustic reflections and your speakers will sound bright... as he mentioned, either moving them away from the wall or "toe in" will help.

enjoy your purchases...

Rob B.

PS; "direct radiating" would be a better discription of horn speakers i think

okay i resolved the problem with your advice and moved my living room around so many times its making me dizzy,lol. But i think i got it to where i want it now and I'll post pics when i get my cam back.

Now I got one more question which involves wiring??

what the hell do i buy for wiring and even though i have enough video hookups on my tv should i feed them althrough my new 3803 denon or just use the audio??

thank you