How Long Do Fortes Last

hkading

I bought a new pair of Fortes about 15 years ago.

Been running them all that time with a Carver 900 receiver, but I recently purchased a Carver HR-895 receiver which I got it on Ebay.

Can't believe I did this, but when I first fired up the new receiver it was at full volume. My ear drums apparently fared wosre than the speakers which seem to be OK.

Regardless, I am curious as to how long the speakers will last. They rarely get really cranked up, although it does happen on occasion (accidents not withstanding), but they do get used daily, mostly to listen to NPR, the local classical station, and sometimes my kids play pop music.

They still sound OK to me, even cranked up, and they're in excellent cosmetic condition, although I was recently appalled at the amount of dust on the passive woofers (and can't seem to come up with a safe way to remove it).

Does the sound quality deteriorate over time due to degradation of the speaker materials? If so, would presume this happens gradually and the owner/listener might not notice without something to compare to. And, are replacement parts available for these units?

Thanks.

Mix

I was a McIntosh amp guy, running a pair of bridged 7200 until I was finishing my HT and ran short of cash. Sold the pair to finance the finishing of the HT with the grand plan to go to tube amps in the future.

I had a pair of NAD 2200's Ive had in storage, that I put back on my mains.

At the moment, I have four 2200s and a single 216 in my rack for my 7.1. Each of my front 3 speakers have a single bridged amp, the sides are using the 216 in stereo and the rears are using a 2200 in stereo.

I have not decided what amps are in my future. I want to try SET, but do not think they would be powerfull enough for use for HT. Maybe a set of three McIntosh MC30s across the front??? Maybe I'll keep the 2200s for HT and use SET only for 2 CH.

Not sure yet... Still deciding. Anyhow, don't have the cash to do anything at the moment.

JM