The phono is in the house...

robforst1

Yesterday I bought a Music Hall MMF-5 and a quicksilver tube preamp!

This is my first dip in the vinyl vault. I drove up to Los Angeles to pick them up and stopped by Amoeba Records...wow!

They have over 100,000 albums on vinyl...many of them for $1 each!

Check out the photo...

Rob

post-10394-13819246468456_thumb.jpg

Congrats...TAS listed that table as a pick for 2002.

I've been to Amoeba Records in Berkley and SF (Haight/Ashbury) and flipped through the $1 overstock lps. With some hunting and condition examination you can find some NrMt gems...I wish they wouldn't put $1 stickers on the lp lable. They have a good churning selection of harder to find lps, too. The pricing seem to be similar to ebay...$10-$30 for some of the harder to find stuff.

I have around 2,500 lps. I built a closet behind my TV wall and built shelves for the lps and other items.

LPs provide sonic enjoyment and great memorabilia.

I like to put them in BAGS UNLIMITED sleeves to protect the covers and some of my vinyl I put in VIP sleeves...I'd like to do more (I also keep the orginal in the jacket).

I use the Disc Doctor's miricle cleaning fluid and brushes for some of the dirty records when I first get them but it's time consuming to do in volume. I've seen other folks use household cleaners... I use the old standby Discwasher brush and fluid more frequently but it can build up static and attract dust if not careful. I used to zap the lp with an anti-static gun but it broke from too many folks playing with it like gun.

When buying used lps, I've found a few "easter eggs" such as magazine reviews of the lps, promo photos, record lable bios on the band, and even a vintage Bo Derreck magazine spread....I guess someone was using the lp as a hiding place.

Nice pics guys !

I have a dear friend who lives in a 600 +/- sq. ft. basement apt. He is a collecter and has about 12000 LP's, 2000 CD's. and God alone knows how many cassettes ! He also has about 3000 books in there too !

His apartment is his warehouse. Everything is catalogued and annotated on file cards and well organised. His collection is not merely quantitive but selective. I hope that he will live forever but if he passes before me I hope that the last voice he will have heard was mine.11.gif

I love the guy and hope that he will outlive me but should he wander off to that great music hall in the sky before I - I hope he leaves his collection to me.

Nice new look!

How great to have an all tube and vinyl dedicated 2-channel room and a HT.

I've been home officing in my home theater/kids game room. One day I'll turn it into a dedicated home theater.

I was wondering if the hard wood floor would be a reason to put the Heresys on risers about a 1' or so off the floor. The rug probably helps. I've found the reflective hard floor is a notable impact on the sound.

I have my 3,000 plus lps & CD in Excel. Each has about 5 different album review book ratings, year, artist, gendre, album title. It can easily be sorted and carried in my iPaq. Collections are fun.